Electronics Upgrade

Wrestling Coach

It's time for me to upgrade my electronics for Lake Erie walleye fishing. I see a Lowrance Elite7 Chirp with Lake Insight Pro Mapping included on sale for $499.00. I have been running Lowrance GPS/Finders on two boats and I am familiar with their formats. I have however only used Navionics mapping with them. Does anyone have any experience with this unit? I'm not in a hurry to change but this caught my attention. 

Edited by Wrestling Coach

The unit itself is worth it but the Insight Pro software sucks....I'd be sticking with the Navionics for that if you are happy with it.

I had lake insight with my old HDS 5. Contours were every 3ft which was good. The new Gen 2's and Gen 3's have 1 ft contours on the Navionics maps.  I'm talking about Lake Ontario, but I'm sure it's the same for all great lakes.

Can you look at the unit, power it up and have a look at the maps?

Thanks for your comments everyone. The Insight Pro Maps are a free item with this offer. Navionics is what I use now and it serves me well. I can change to Navioncs easy enough and not have wasted any money. I read where this unit has a tendency to freeze and must be restarted to get it back up and running.. Perhaps that was an early problem and has since been corrected. I will be going for this unit and installing it on my boat over the winter.

Ah yes summer wrestling was a big part of what we were about.  It became a family and families thing. Load everybody up Friday afternoon and travel to that weekends tournament. Some near some far. From North Dakota to Michigan to Pennsylvania to Ohio to New Jersey to Virginia and right here in New York. Some very dedicated people. I did this for 31 years.

My son didn't start until his junior year in high school and did pretty good that first year. Then he worked his butt off the following summer and placed 5th in the New England Championship finals his senior year. He really struggled in school so he went out to Mercyhurst North East Junior College in North East PA and found out he's just another average wrestler in that neck of the woods. I miss it.

Thanks for your comments everyone. The Insight Pro Maps are a free item with this offer. Navionics is what I use now and it serves me well. I can change to Navioncs easy enough and not have wasted any money. I read where this unit has a tendency to freeze and must be restarted to get it back up and running.. Perhaps that was an early problem and has since been corrected. I will be going for this unit and installing it on my boat over the winter.

We used our Elite 7 Chirp all year and no freeze ups.

There was an update to the software a while back for both the Elite 7 HDI and the CHIRP unit  and that may have addressed the freeze. My unit has worked fine all season and I installed the update from day 1.

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...

I would wait until closer to Xmas or better yet February. Hummingbird has just announced new Helix models. Garmin is bringing Chirp to all there units and their website now has a very affordable Striker unit with a 7 inch screen. Lowrance is suppose to announce something titled Hook on December 15th. Maybe Hook will replace the Elite units?