Rigger Weights

muskybob

What Kind of Rigger Weights Do You Use  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What Kind of Rigger Weights Do You Use

• Ball
    • Pancake
    • Ridgeback Rattler

Sharks!!! 8) I used to use 12lb canon's, but had a lot of blow-back, so I read up on the Sharks and decided to try 'em out. They did help with the blow-back, they track quite a bit better, and helped to land us fish every trip thereafter. With the Canon's we would occasionally have skunked trips, but after using the sharks, that seems to be a trait of the past - we have caught fish every trip since switching.

i run both balls and pancakes. on the 2 back riggers i run balls and run them both as the deeper riggers. on the side riggers i usually run pancakes. i bent the fin slightly (too much will make them swim) and they actually pull away from the boat to give myself a little bit more of a rigger spread.

I run 10# (outside) & 12# (inside/deeper) balls and somethimes 10# fish weights. Tried to run pancakes a few times two years ago and had 3 tangles :evil: :evil: while running dodgers. Now that was a treat. :? It took me 1/2 hour to untangle that mess each time.. and that was using scissors to speed up the process ;( :x . Took them off and they sit in the garage ever since.

Wasn't till a little later that I figured out what was going on. I had the releases hooked on the back of the pancakes and with the rods/lines tightened down for normal rigger fishing it would steer the weights to the opposite side the rod was positioned on the rigger. The deeper the weight the more swing to the other side it would go. Eventually the weights would cross and the fun began :roll: .

Needless to say I don't attach any releases to the weights anymore (especially the fish weights) and haven't had a problem since. Also by attaching off the cable instead of the weight you can turn much sharper without tangling lines. The pancakes may work better by attaching to the cable but I'll probably never get over the tangle mess I had using them so they can sit in the garage.

I use the 13 lb pancakes on the outside riggers, you need to put a slit bend in the fin so it acts like a rudder and takes them away from the boat, the only time I had a tangle with them is when my buddy put them on in reverse. Down the middle I run the sharks.

" you need to put a slit bend in the fin so it acts like a rudder and takes them away from the boat, "
......now thats exactly what I did. I slit the throats of my pancake weights and they are far away from my boat........all the way in the back of the garage...... :lol::lol:

Thanks janz, maybe someday...... :roll:

Run standard round balls, what ever weight your riggers can handle. With down and out's off the outer riggers. Unless there is a h*ll of a lot of down current you won't have any problems. Sides that D&O's catch a lot a fish. I don't run anything but them on the outside rigger's in deeper water.

Just my two cent's But I'm new to this, might not work for everyone.