planer line...

Hey all, for as long as I can remember, I have only ever seen the dacron line used as the planer board tow line.  The issue i have is that my releases (clippers with a brass flute inserted) slide poorly at times, particularly if there is anything (seaweed, cotton wood) in the water.  I have tried "lubricating" the line, etc with no luck.  What does everyone use?  I found a planer board in the lake with what appeared to be super heavy duty mono attached to it last year, not sure if this is better?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Hey all, for as long as I can remember, I have only ever seen the dacron line used as the planer board tow line.  The issue i have is that my releases (clippers with a brass flute inserted) slide poorly at times, particularly if there is anything (seaweed, cotton wood) in the water.  I have tried "lubricating" the line, etc with no luck.  What does everyone use?  I found a planer board in the lake with what appeared to be super heavy duty mono attached to it last year, not sure if this is better?

Any suggestions appreciated!

The fact you found the board floating in the lake is probably a good indicator it might not be a good idea. LOL

I use the dacron line with no issues.

Otherwise I'd probably go with the heavy braid like mentioned above if your not happy with the dacron.

Many captains and rec boats use Amish Outfitters 500 lb. spectra. Indestructible and relatively smooth. I would never go back to Dacron. Use a snubber with the spectra, also sold by Amish Outfitters, UV resistant nearly indestructible.

Some old school Erie walleye guys used huge lengths of weed wacker line. Stretchy and smooth. From what I hear it blows up plastic planer reels. Metal is the way to go anyway, see Cisco Fishing Products line up. Yes spendy but you will destroy other brands with time.

I use cheap Home Depot mini carabiners attached to all my planer releases. Adds weight, less drag and easier to use. I highly recommend the purchase. They zip down the line.

Edited by ReelPower

A lot of guys on the Chesapeake use .080 weed eater line. You do have to be careful about winding it onto plastic reels under pressure though.

Could you give us a little more detail about what happens when winding under pressure? I almost bought weed eater line last year. I assume weed eater line binds under pressure but would like to be sure.

Thanks

Jim

Could you give us a little more detail about what happens when winding under pressure? I almost bought weed eater line last year. I assume weed eater line binds under pressure but would like to be sure.

Thanks

Jim

What happens is the mono line stretches under pressure.  Then when you get the board in and release the pressure, the released pressure will work its way down the line and relaxed diameter will eventually return, causing breakage of the plastic reels as the line expands.