Western opener

Today was bittersweet .... My buddy, his father and I went out and got a really nice mixed bag including Greenwings, wigeon, mallards, a couple Bull Pintails and a sky carp. Great friends to share a blind with. The bitter part was every time a bird hit the water, I looked to my left waiting for the splash from my Parker boy diving in for the retrieve... Some of you might remember, I lost my boy 7 months ago.

Great day , 3 man limit, great company, but a really long lonely ride home.... This is the last duck season I will be without a four legged partner.... Shoot em in the face boys... And duck hunting is nothing without a dog in the blind!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Missdemeanor

Wishinfishin.... Get after em. I'd be willing to bet that the some bluebills and Bufflehead will be around.

For me, shooting popcorn ducks is a warm up for the single digit degree days of the western late season. Teal, woodies, and Mallards taste really good...but there's something about watching a giant flock of Cans dump into your spread.... The search for a new 4legged hunting partner has started.... English Choc Male.... I have some feelers out....possibly this Spring.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Missdemeanor

I enjoy eating puddle ducks and shooting divers.Its all good.

Lost my yellow lab a few years ago, he went everywhere with me ,he sat in the passenger side of the truck where ever we went.

He went to work with me everyday to (im self employed). He loved retrieving ,but just for me.After reading your post Matt,I was thinking

about my dog ( Ben ,Parkers cousin) I miss the splash to.

I would try to explain to my wife how Ben who was very calm , well behaved , barely barked ,wouldnt hurt a fly ,was actually

Clark Kent,and when it was go time and he knew I was getting the guns and the boat ready he would step into the phone booth

and out came Super Ben.

He wasnt a field champion but he was my friend ,and the best dog I ever had.

Im still not ready for a replacement,actually I am its the pain when they are gone Im not ready for.

Chuck

I've got an English Male Yellow..  Kenai.  He is now 9 1/2 and is a step slower and stiffer, but the fire still burns in those eyes anytime he hears a honk or I run the action on a gun.  I don't know how many years he has left but I am not ready for him to be gone that's for sure.

I know the pain of loosing my 4 legged best friend. I had to put down my first black lab on my 28 th birthday do to cancer. Part of me died that day. Having to make that decision was the worst thing ive ever had to do! She was my whole world and was by my side 90 percent of the time. The pain is absolutely the worst thing and it will definitely make you think twice before getting a new one. I still miss her a lot and its been almost 8yrs.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app