Best Braid for casting

Now that the Boat season is winding down, it's time to start steelhead fishing. I always used florocarbon in the past . I would like to use some Braid this fall and was wondering what others think about cast ability. Looking for a nice smooth line for casting spoons or jigs. Something around 6 or 8 lb test dia . My trolling braid seems coarse like a fine rope and i wouldn't think it would be ideal for casting . My current line is Power Pro but i dont feel it fits the bill for casting. With so many different brands out there any advice would be welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using suffix 832 for all my braid casting rods. I find it wears spot better than power pro or any other braid I have used it doesn't lose its colour as fast, and casts like a dream, I remember when my buddy first spoiled it up and showed up to our usually casting spot for walleye and with the same bait and almost identical rod he was out casting me by 10 ft at least. Needless to say I switched the next day!

Power pro 30lb super slick. 375 feet off a Penn 7500 long cast reel with a 4oz weight tossed on a 12 ft medium surf rod. No problems.

Same with a Tica Samira 9 ft fast action rod and shimano ultegra long cast reel.

Rod guides are key more than anything with braid. I had one rod a 10 Foot penn Newport, and every cast had a wind knot 30 feet from the lure.

Other than that,the line flies off the rod like a bullet.

I used Nanofil for Salmon off the Olcott pier this fall and it worked out great for casting distance. I left it on to fish the lower Niagara for the end of Kings/ beginning of trout, and didnt care for it as far as river use. Maybe too many rocks nicking it up. I was taking 30 ft off after every outing. It will definitely go back on next pier season.

Well i just got back from Olcott pier casting for a few days, Started off with the nanofil and was so impressed that i never got a chance to try the super slick. Not one wind knot , that was a first for me with braid, and never had such a pleasant time casting. Next time i will give the super slick a try, hope i get as good results as i did with the nano. Thanks for everyones help and guidance.

Thanks for the report back!

X2. So many times we hear 3-4 good lines to try but never a return as to which one was the best. This is a on the scene at the scene report with one so great never got to use the other. Thanks for the return info and tight lines to you

I had never used braid of any kind for casting before beach fishing the OBX surf last month. I ordered super 8 slick and that's the only line I used. The Teach's Lair tackle shop recommended Fireline crystal I think...when I asked what works for the surf. Didn't get a chance to try it as they were low on the bulk spool. What I found was, super slick worked on certain rods. Other rods were a disaster of wind knots. Lost two rigs with crack off :angry:...the other rods were excellent with it. Got to be the rods guide characteristics :huh:

Nano fill will be on the list to try on those trouble rods. See if it is rod that is truly the same problem. Wish I was still down there with toes in the sand drink in the hand...tossing 8nbait!

Actually that was down at the Hatteras inlet. Ocean side just outside the pass. The island has changed a lot from storms. I hadn't been down there for 16 years. The inlet got much shallower and wider. Not so much room to wander outside the dunes and shrubbery going to the sound side.