Meat Grinder

Go to www.lemproducts.com and they have one (#8) for $100. Very similar to the one I have and I've ground on average 3 deer a year for the last 20+ years. If you aren't doing more than 1 a year this would be more than adequate in my opinion. I've done kielbasa with it and it worked fine.

Total Chaos

I have a #8 Big Bite from LEM and love it.  I don't do deer but I make a lot of pork and lamb sausage.  If you really don't think you'll use it much you could get the countertop #8, it sounds like that's the one Total Chaos recommends.   I did a lot of research and almost went with a #5 but I tend to play it "safe" and overbuy.  They have the older version of the #5 Big Bite for a good deal.

Edited by hermit

Black Friday sales at Gander usually have a good ocassional use style for around $50.  I have one and wouldn't use it for an often use grinder but for once or twice a year, I am happy with it.  I can not guarantee it will be a sale item though...

I bought a cheap plastic one and it didn't last two years. Bought a more expensive stainless one and I love it. Works much faster and has already lasted several years with zero issues. Use it to grind geese into sausage and just finished grinding deer into burger. Also have used it to stuff sausage. Over the long run I believe a good one is a better investment.