Ticks

Just a reminder to keep a look out for them. I went for a 20 minute walk in a small woods in Liverpool yesterday and woke up today with one stuck to my chest.

Growing up around Vernon and Canastota, I had never encountered them even thru last season. Yet 30 miles west, Syracuse area seems to be a hotspot for several years.

Yes walked to my stand the other afternoon down the power lines,didn't walk through any brush or tall grass and had one on my hand when I sat down?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

They are bad this year. I live/hunt in Oswego county (just 2 miles north of Onondaga county line) and it's probably one of the worst years I've seen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-144505-14461161032546_thumb.jpg

post-144505-14461161141021_thumb.jpg

post-144505-14461161306782_thumb.jpg

You guys should see them on the eastern side of the state. I've never seen one on me whatsoever while hunting in western New York. I've had times at home (an hour or so north of Albany) however where I've had 10-20 walking around on my pants and jacket at a time.

Earthsbalance.com for our Tick Releaser and test kit. Send me a pm and I'll give all LOU members a discount. Great little kit to keep in your truck or backpack

Southeastern new York is a nightmare for ticks.  Come in from the woods especially goldenrod type cover and it looks like your clothes are literally crawling.  I bought a Yellow lab when we lived there primarily so we could see the ticks on him.  He was out in the yard one day, and never left the grass for 20 minutes or so,  when he came in I picked 35+ ticks off him.  I had Lyme and it sucks big time!

I live in Jefferson county.... Been hunting for 20+ years. Got my first tick bite this year. My Golden has been covered with them just in the last month or so. The summer was not bad. Strange they are coming out of the woodwork now.

I checked my trail cams today. Was literally in and out in 15 minutes and didn't go through any thick stuff. Now I'm sitting in urgent care with two ticks fully embedded and cannot get them out. Be careful out there

Edited by bout time

• 2 weeks later...

Got three on me this weekend while grousing in St. Lawrence County. My dog has picked them up in Western NY so they are EVERYWHERE. What saved me from getting embedded is I tuck my socks and longJohn top into my longJohn bottoms (no place to get me). I found them crawling on my neck.

The big "dog ticks" that we often see on our pets don't carry lymes disease. It's those minuscule deer ticks that can look like a spec of pepper that are the problem. You can't see them easily until they're already embedded and engorged. Use Permethrin on your clothing. Works well and lasts through several washings.

Those creepy little bastards are thick in northeastern PA. My brother-in-law had 7 of them stuck on him but they didn't have their heads buried under his skin. His wife couldn't do it, {she's a little weird} so he called me in 15 minutes the surgery was over but I itched all the way home. LOL

In Oswego County they seem much worse on the Eastern side of the Oswego river.  I believe there are 3 stages (so 3 sizes) of the deer tick.  They all can carry Lyme disease, and other nasty infections.  As has been mentioned, treating clothing with Permethrin is extremely effective.  Buy it online or the tractor stores.  Clothes only, not to be applied directly to skin.  It is said to be highly toxic to cats, I guess you can't leave treated clothes around your felines.   jperch

Edited by jperch

Them ticks are all over in western New York. Never have I seen so many on my lab and beagle no matter where we go. I even had 2 in me. I bought frontline plus to kill the ones that bite the dogs that I don't see. That pyrethrum smells bad to have on your hunt clothes. Bring on the snow. I thought they were supposed to die after a frost, guess not. The ones that are like raisins on the dogs are easy to get, just a pain in the azz. Is their a good repellant for dogs???

You guys are nuts if your not protecting your hunting dogs and yourself from ticks.. Advantix for the dogs every month along with PYthon purple cattle tags on there collars while in the feild.. and a yearly lyme shot from the vet.. yard and kennel sprayed monthly with permethrin 10% and gordons malathion 50%.. ticks can be easily preventable if you take the time to do it right.. the PYthon tags are by far the best at keeping them off your dogs