FLTCo Spoons- The " must have" spoons?

Just a word of caution regarding the "magical spoon" theory :)  The FLT spoons have an exceptional paint job and are eye catching, Great Lakes spoons work great on the Fingers and Lake O and Sutton's have been the mainstay on the Finger Lakes for a hundred years or more. None of these spoons is "magical" in terms of catching fish. They all need to be run properly and at the right speeds and depths to consistently catch fish and it takes experimentation and the actual experience of testing them out and trying different setups with them to actually know what works most effectively. It is also a big question regardless of the specific spoon or color or size etc. whether these are a the critical variables regarding whether they work or if it might be merely the correct action of the spoon at the right speed and being close enough for the fish to see it (and light levels) and appearing "vulnerable" to the fish whether out of a feeding or aggressive response. A lot of the "hype" about spoon colors, crazy names etc. is primarily marketing hype  to attract buyers and that applies to all lure companies and I'm as guilty as the next guy of biting on it :lol: . It will not be any one lure whether stick or spoon that will be consistently successful unless they are run properly. I too have various "go to" spoons when things are challenging out there but I have also had "identical" spoons perform differently and have different results so experimentation is critical.

Edited by Sk8man

Very true Les. I would say that the action of the spoon is directly related to speed. So I wouldn't be running a small NK at 1.8 it won't flip. But running a few thin flutter spoons at that speed would be the correct action. I like Jason's lures (fingerlakes lure co.) and run them a lot. Having options that may fit the fishes mood is the key in having a well filled box of spoons, quick fish, ff's, stickbaits, and whatever else you may run.

Test a lure before you run it one of the best pieces of advice I got was to get that Sutton to go dodge, dodge, flip. Killer on the fingerlakes Lakers.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Very true Les. I would say that the action of the spoon is directly related to speed. So I wouldn't be running a small NK at 1.8 it won't flip. But running a few thin flutter spoons at that speed would be the correct action. I like Jason's lures (fingerlakes lure co.) and run them a lot. Having options that may fit the fishes mood is the key in having a well filled box of spoons, quick fish, ff's, stickbaits, and whatever else you may run.

Test a lure before you run it one of the best pieces of advice I got was to get that Sutton to go dodge, dodge, flip. Killer on the fingerlakes Lakers.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When fishing Seneca I'll usually run something for an hour, then try something else if it doesn't work. Threw out the hour I usually adjusted dipsy depths, how many colors are out, board distances.

Usually Sutton 22 do well. Gold and silver 71s have produced the best but he hasn't had them in and Naples pretty far drive for me if he doesn't have them in.

I don't know what speed I run, usually different speeds, I'll switch to east and west to a bit then continue my directs.

Some times the Sutton won't produce but Pink and Orange will. Figured I would save some of the learning curve and get some reviews before spending $100 on random lures.

All good points! It's important when you are starting out to keep a log of what works and all the information that goes along with it. I can tell you right now what rigs, lures, location and depth to catch fish on what ever finger lake you want at each month. It sure makes things easier no matter what brand spoon you run.

This is my first year. I been writing down some stuff but most of the stuff I am learning now will stick with me. I've been giving Seneca a lot of my time, everyone says it's an off year. You never know what you will catch if you never try anything new:)

Plus the Suttons can be hard to get a hold of.

All good points but like what was said before is they need to work for you for how I fish and speeds I like the flt spoons work for me I have 2 full boxes of them double triple different sizes gold backs silver nickel blue glow green glow uv not uv bubble tape shine tape all kinds close to 700 probably but I also have a few boxes with lots and lots of mixed spoons for different areas speeds chops sun and definitely different lakes

He has a pretty quick turn around time, you can reach out directly to him on the flt Facebook page to get a better estimate. Here are a few of my "must have" flt spoons but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-154473-14467318592662_thumb.jpg

post-154473-14467319150171_thumb.jpg

post-154473-14467319352798_thumb.jpg

post-154473-14467319489849_thumb.jpg

Which FL & size do you like for Rainbow Trout and Browns ?

Bob painted me up some custom colors about 4 years ago for here in California, I have to say they have out fished any of the West Coast popular stuff on the market here.

What was great he would not even start until I sent him pictures of the lake waters I fish here and Oregon. Some of the lakes are crystal clear you can see bottom at 50' others have a green tint with a visibility maybe 3' .

Which FL & size do you like for Rainbow Trout and Browns ?

Bob painted me up some custom colors about 4 years ago for here in California, I have to say they have out fished any of the West Coast popular stuff on the market here.

What was great he would not even start until I sent him pictures of the lake waters I fish here and Oregon. Some of the lakes are crystal clear you can see bottom at 50' others have a green tint with a visibility maybe 3' .

color is s huge deal to him and I have found I don't order certain spoons I just say where I am going and I get spoons to match the water seems to work great for me