Piscine reovirus

I just read an article on piscine reovirus. Apparently the virus is widespread Atlantic salmon populations. It causes the hearts of affected fish to become flabby, and greatly affects their ability to ascend rapidly flowing water. I can't help but wonder if the virus affects Chinook salmon. Has anyone come across any information in this regard? It might offer some additional explanations about why our salmon appear to be so unthrifty.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I never like to hear about disease in any fish, but any lethargic Chinook you may have encountered were most likely affected by warmer water. Even if the trib temps are cool spending a long time in warm water in nearshore lake water can zap them of some of their strength. Although we had primarily 2 and 3 yr old mature Chinook in western tribs, which of course are smaller than 4 yr olds, there was no lack of fight in the fish.

Thanks for your reply, Captain Vince. Apparently in farmed Atlantic's in BC, the virus is suspected to affect upwards of 90% of the fish. It's rampant in Atlantic Canadian farmed fish as well. I don't know if any of Lake Ontario's Atlantic sticks are affected, or if the virus is capable of "tipping" into other salmon species. Affected Atlantic's are mostly asymptomatic until they are stressed. I'd imagine weak fish in the wild would simply die or be eaten. Wild fish in Norway are also apparently similarly affected. Potentially a concern is my point.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app