I'm headed to the lower river in the next couple days. Anyone know where I can net emerald shiners?? I always used to go to the foot of Ontario st., but they've put up a gate. Any direction would be appreciated. Pm me if you'd prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

first things first, please don't take this the wrong way, but as a sportsman you should know this. if i am wrong someone please chime in, i like to think i am up to date on these laws though.

Emeralds from the upper river are not allowed to be  transported to the lower river for the fear of VHS virus. can be ticketed for a 250$ fine. if buying bait make sure they are certified or if a DEC officer ask for receipt of proof and do not have, Ticket. don't think for one minute they are never down there in the lower, seen them 9 times during salmon season this year.

Point 2, due to high winds and rain this week the river is mud as of this writing. 1ft of viz at most. when it clears it will be game on.

Good luck if you go and enjoy the day

here's the link off the DEC website that shows a map of the corridor that you can net & use live or frozen baitfish, unless they're certified.  If certified, they can be used anywhere.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/lecorridor.pdf

There are also three transportation corridors:

1. Upper Niagara Rive/Lake Erie

2. Lower Niagara/lake Ontario/St. Lawrence

3. Hudson River

here's the description for the Upper NR & LE

"Upper Niagara River/Lake Erie Overland Transportation Corridor shall mean the geographical area associated with the New York portion of Lake Erie and the Upper Niagara River west of and including a line starting at I-90 at the Pennsylvania border, then continuing east to its intersection with I-290, then continuing north along I-290 to its intersection with State Route 62, then continuing west to its intersection with I-190, then north to its intersection with the Lower Niagara River. Baitfish collected from the New York portion of the Upper Niagara River/Lake Erie water body may be transported within this corridor."

The rules change (I think) if you use salted minnows but here's the DEC's link for use of baitfish.  So, if you net in the lower or LO you can use in the lower & L.O.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/47282.html

Hope that helps.

Edited by Smeltz

You are correct thank you. However there is a transportation corridor specific to the lower river / Ontario for exactly this purpose. So, if I may rephrase, if anyone would kindly share a spot within this area it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Sorry 'bout that.  While I was typing my response, I thought it would be more helpful if I could give you a few spots to dip up north.  I'd rather tell you where you can dip instead of telling you where you can't, but I don't dip up that way & wouldn't even know where to start.

Anyway, best of luck to you.  Hope you get some emeralds & hope you get a lot of fish with them.  Going for perch??