Outdrive problem/question

Fishtails

I just had both outdrives redone. They worked well all month...no issues that I "noticed". After a month of being in the water, I brought the boat home and a day later I notice oil seeping out the upper fill hole on one drive. Enough so that it made the lower side of the drive wet with oil. I pulled the lower fill screw to see what the oil looked like....no oil.....just clear water :shock: :shock: :shock:

No signs of oil at all.....looks like tap water, it's so clear. I put the screw back and I'll call the repair shop that did the work tomorrow morning to see what they say. I can't believe the lower unit didn't blow up....or at least make noise of some sort?? Any thoughts?

dat not good ,id pull the prop and check for line /seal damage.before you pull prop check backlash between two outdrives and compare but my guess is what your thinking ,water ant the best lube around.the oil and water will seperate after sitting so if you had some oil on top of the water it may have saved you but i wouldnt take the chance

Thanks Ray.....I don't plan on doin nothin though. I just paid a few grand so I'm expecting them to get it right. I'll see what they say tomorrow, but I'm guessing I'll have to pull the drive and take it up there. Guess your right though....there is probably oil above the water. I have oil at the upper plug. I'll get back on how they handle it. Hopefully they will take care of it quick for me :? I'm worried about damage that could have

been sustained, but not show up for a year or so....what do ya all think?

just take a minute to pull the prop and make shure you didnt wrap fishing line or anything that could have ripped the seal.could save a little embarresment if they pull the prop and find a wad of line burnt through the seal .if alls well there then id give em a chance to rebuild or at least tear down and check every thing .a pocket recorder is sorta convient at certain times in life got me back 15,000 grand on a van deal gone bad with a very repitable dealer.everyone can make a mistake its the next step that will determine things .best of luke.

Dear FT,

More then a teaspoon of water out of the lower drive hole is excessive water and is indication of an internal leak. You can make a pressure test connector out of a 3/8 NC stud (drilled thru the center) and several drain plug gaskets. Rig up a zero to 10 or 15 PSI gauge with a shutoff valve. Put in air until you reach 8 PSI and turn off the valve to the air supply. Should hold 8 PSI overnite. Be sure and ask your Outdrive repair shop if they pressure tested your drives after assembly. If they won't hold 8 PSI, they need new seals put in. It's also possible that you got into some fishline behind the prop hub. Easy to pull prop and examine closely. New style lower unit seal has a S.S. shield which reduces possible damage to the prop. shaft seal. But wire line can really cause damage even to these tough shields. Be sure your drain and fill plugs have good gaskets also! You may be lucky and caught this soon enough. Here's praying for you and both your drives.

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill (Hamilton Jet Drive eats small rocks, sea shells and seaweed w/o repairs!)

Thank guys....I will pull the prop before I make a call. It was definitly more than a teaspoon of water.

These guys have been nothing short of great to me so far. If it's not fishing line, I'm pretty sure they will take care of the problem....whatever it may be.

Called the shop this morning......they say it sounds like a seal or gasket took a dump. I'm pulling the drive and taking it up to them. Had no plans to use the boat in June anyway.....

Thanks for the pointers guys!!

Sometimes things happen. I'm sure they'll pressure test it and check everything over for ya. You probably already know but make sure it's in forward gear when you pull it & reinstall it.