2015 Genesee river fall trout and salmon

I think that someone is trolling...they can't possibly think that simply having fish migrate into a waterway during their annual spawning run makes that waterway suitable for natural reproduction. It's amusing, though.

But some natural reproduction occurs that all I was saying. thanks for the info.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just give up the argument, you are not going to win this one. The guys are trying to educate you, not argue but if you won't listen to what they are telling you and decide to trust Wiki instead (not Genesse specifica data, just a general fact about salmon). The salmon in the Genny are put there as babies and that is how the river is imprinted into them as their place of birth. You have the general idea about Salmon reproduction correct but around here fishing is BIG BIG business so the government has to help the fish along so the money keeps rolling in. 

I understand that they stock. I'm simply saying once again that natural reproduction occurs you can't argue with that fact I quote wiki about there ability to return to there place of birth not about anything with reproduction. So make sure you READ first before you comment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Why is so important to you to be right here?  Is it to justify that all the snaggers and poachers pissed you off and you started this thread.  Guess what, we are all on board here with that, It's wrong and shows a terrible attitude toward the fish, nature and society in general that some people think doing that is ok.  There are a tons of threads every year created about this problem and even more threads hijacked about people complaining and being pissed off about the poachers.  Whether the salmon successfully go through the steps to spawn and produce offspring or not doesn't even enter in to the whole equation here, it's wrong plain and simple and it pisses everyone here off.  Trying to justify this thread by sticking to the claim that there is natural reproduction for salmon in the Genny when it is the accepted belief of old timers here with tons of knowledge and the DEC's own words then you come across as being argumentative and unable to accept that you misunderstood something or just got it wrong.  According to science as far as everyone in the world scientifically and antidotely knows natural reproduction in the Genny is non existent for Salmon.  And I will repeat what I said before even if there somehow some small amount were to somehow occur in some small micro habitat in this river that number is statistically the same as zero for any contribution to this lake or its fishery.  I wish you were right and reproduction would occur at the Genny and a lot of other south shore tribs but wishing doesn't make it so.

Edited by pvelyk

And no one can prove to me that their isn't a chance for other life outside of Earth.

silverfoxcharters.net

Best response yet. 

Better consult wiki to see what is in there about life outside of earth. 

People do realize that anyone can put stuff into wiki, including my 8 year old daughter.  Once they referenced a guy had deceased yet he was very much still alive.  Wiki - the place where you obtain 100% verifiable info (for people under the age of 30).

Edited by hairybumcrack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeeeahh!!! That's the spirit!!! Ok , well do you think that fish with a pea sized brain is smart enough to know where on this enormous earth they were born?? I thin not!!!

I normally stray away from arguments but I am only responding to this comment.

Trout and Salmon or any member of the Salmonidae family are genetically enhanced to what their natal stream/spawning area is at the egg, alevin, fry, and parr stage of their life. When they're spawning adults or adults staging to spawn they go through a change called smolting. Which is a physiological change to their bodies, with this their olfactory sense (sense of smell) kicks in to imprint on cues from their natal stream. They pick up on the smell of the stream they were raised in. This is how a Trout or Salmon homes on their natal spawning grounds. Homing- Ability to return to native streams.

Now before you go saying other ridiculous comment to this one, I did not get this off the internet I am an 18 year old college freshman working towards a Fish and Wildlife biology degree at FLCC, so I think I am going to listen to my professor who is well known throughout the DEC, go ahead ask me any question about any North American freshwater fish species and ill tell you the answer even anatomy questions also.

As for salmon spawning naturally in the Genny I couldn't tell ya, id have to say little to none but more towards none because of the huge amounts of silt deposits that come through. Its hard for an egg to sit in a redd and be able to grow and get oxygen when threre is a constant flow of silt covering the egg, salmon make their redds on a hard substrate. Even though there is optimal oxygen levels and water temp I just think with the amount of silt its hard. It'd be a great research topic one that I would definitely want to research and find out a little more on.

Edited by cdq

I love it when people reference wiki. 

I know of a ditch that doesn't get any runs typically because the levels are SSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO low.  It is located within a few miles of a major trib that gets a large run.  When the planets align and we get enough rain, some fish run that ditch and they may attempt to spawn but most die before they are ready to do their thing because of water temps and lack of oxygenated water. 

Please tell me how those fish returned back to that ditch if there were no fish present for upwards of 5 years?  Maybe I will reference wiki.

Still not trying to start an argument.

You pretty much answered your own question, the water levels are slim to none, salmon can not pick up on the olfactory cues that the stream imprints because there is no water putting the smell of the stream out into the lake. Trout and Salmon like I said before use their olfactory sense to home in on the stream they were raised in. So if they can't find their steam they have to resort to find a different stream to reproduce in because salmon are genetically enhanced to produce offspring and die. So once they find that other stream then their offspring return to that other stream as spawning adults due to that stream imprinting on them as young salmon.

For salmon that weren't present in those 5 years its probably a year class that was just so happened to be spawned in that creek at the time water levels were good and when they came back as spawning adults the water level was up and they found their way home. That really how I can make sense of that question.

Science its a very weird topic!

For salmon that weren't present in those 5 years its probably a year class that was just so happened to be spawned in that creek at the time water levels were good and when they came back as spawning adults the water level was up and they found their way home. That really how I can make sense of that question.

Science its a very weird topic!

No salmon in this ditch for 5 years is a year class?  Since when as most returning fish are 2 or 3 yr olds.

No salmon in this ditch for 5 years is a year class?  Since when as most returning fish are 2 or 3 yr olds.

Again that is just my first observation to what you were saying, I'm still trying to figure it out, maybe I worded it weird I don't know, still trying to make sense of it. Not trying to start an argument.

"Please tell me how those fish returned back to that ditch if there were no fish present for upwards of 5 years?"

The same way my wife can get lost even when she's using a GPS  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: