Plug in or out?

blueghost1

Just curious...Have a '99  2052 trophy that is stored  under a carport year round. Boat is sadly put away now. Drained the engine water  and then the bilge. Put the drain plug back in, always have. Transom is 100% solid like new since always inside, is it better to leave plug out in winter for airflow and moisture that may develop from temp changes? What does everyone do? Thanks, Kevin

I leave mine in just to have one less ingress point for mice.  I really don't think it makes any difference because how is any airflow going to get way up into the front of the boat where one would think more condensation is taking place due to the airspace between the outside and the floor of the boat (cuddy)?

I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I've always left mine out just in case water/moisture was in there. As far as the mice if they want to get in there's other places they fit through also.

Edited by Firechief48

Always leave mine in after making sure all water is out (I can visually check my bilge from the rear of the boat by opening up a compartment lid (boat is stored inside barn near my house) but I place a garbage bag with an open bag of charcoal briquettes inside the interior of the boat which is completely covered by custom canvas to absorb any potential moisture to prevent mildew. I also cover the prop on motor with a garbage bag and bungee cord and cover/block any places where rodents might get in as well as encase the transducer wires for my depth finders with plastic sheathing and duct tape to prevent potential chewing despite never having it happen.... but rodents of various types can be attracted to the urea component in the plastic covering of wires.

Mine is always out.  Gas & oil fumes heavier than air.  If there's any fumes under the heavy tarps, I want to know it before I unwrap it.  Mice & whatever will eat thru the tarp/canvas if they really want in.  (a few mothballs in a tuna can in the bilge or on the cavitation plate will keep vermin out)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Its sad to have to winterize the searay again.I build a frame over the boat about two feet clear of the deck and then place bird netting over that then a swimming pool cover.it takes awhile but the boat does well outside even buried in deep snow.i pull it off witha roof rake.I like the charcoal idea for mildew.Mothballs are also a good idea.

My duck boat is ready now took it out at sodus for perch,tomorrow hopefully geese as lots around here now.

I hear slow on seneca for perch now.Which i had a partner for erie.Wonder if duck is open on erie now.

john

My boat is out of the water with the bilge and drain plugs left open for air flow with internal hatches propped open. However i also leave a pail of mothballs inside all of our boats to discourage crittters. This seems to work. I notice inside our boathouse that liberal splashes of Mr. Clean spread over areas which attract otters also works well. If I had time to think during closing I would also put a rag soaked in Mr. Clean inside another pail in my boat . I store my boat outside on shore close to an otter family. Think I will address this later this month and add another pail. My system isn't perfect because I still find the odd pine comb from squirrels in spring but thats all, touch wood ! One spring my buddy despite taking the same precautions found a racoon family inside his I O. So I guess no matter what you do , stuff happens !

Hope this helps.