Garmin mapping software questions

Misty IV

I'm in the market for a new chartplotter and exploring all the options. While looking at Garmin's offerings, I see they have the BlueChart g2 and the LakeVu maps available.

I've tried to find any information on these (2) offerings and which would be best suited for Lake Ontario's eastern and southern shores. I'm not having much luck. The units with the BlueChart maps are a bit more expensive.

Anyone able to shed some light on this for me? I'm not set on Garmin but I tried one of their display units at my local West Marine and really liked what I saw. Thanks in advance!

If I'm not mistaken, the Blue Chart models are US coastal waters, and the Lake VU are US inland waters.In January Garmin is releasing new units capable of creating and improving maps by recording your own waters. Free software upgrades will be available to certain older units to do the same thing.

That's good to know about the new units coming out. I'm interested in seeing them. I like the features Garmin offers on their units for what I need. I don't want the high-end features, but also don't want to go super-basic either. Their mid-range plotters are just about perfect. I'm also looking at the offerings from Raymarine, Furuno, Humminbird and Standard Horizon.

I've got a Garmin Echomap 70DV, a 70S, and the GVC-10 box for  side view, all networked together. They are touch screen and have the Lake VU mapping built in. I also have the Blue Chart chip for coastal waters and an Ontario Inland lake chip. With the new software to create and improve my chips, I'm good to go with Garmin. PS. Their GPS is second to none. Locks right on in my garage, where my previous H/B or Lowrance units would require me to pull the boat outside.

Thanks for that great info. The units I'm looking at are the echoMAP 73dv and the echoMAP 74dv. Only difference is the preloaded maps (BlueChart or LakeVu). If I can manage it and go with Garmin, may do the 9" screen with the 93sv

I bought a garmin earlier this year because in the store it looked great. On the water it was so inaccurate I returned the unit. Might as well have a chart of a totally different lake. OK the bouys were in the right spot but the depth readings were off by as much as 100'. Also humps or holes are not labeled, just contour lines so you never knew if you were aproaching a hump or a hole and how deep or shallow it would get. not that any number would have mattered as they were not even close on the water i was fishing. couldn't return the unit fast enough. Stick with Navionics chips.

You can search for my earlier post on the garmin I bought for more info but I highlighted most of the bad stuff here.

Spike