Land with lots of Black Locust trees

fmrdd0331

You might find a buyer for those Black Locust trees and then shape the land as you chose if you like the land. I think the Black Locust trees are used for veneers and fence posts

Edited by Gill-T

I'd agree with that. If you're willing to spend the time you can make it what you want. Another thing to consider is what the land surrounding that 20 acres is like. Deer will travel quite a ways. Is there crop fields around You and you can provide the cover? Is there cover around you and you can provide the forage? Is it a funnel or a passageway? All things to consider before you spend the money.

If you are considering harvesting the trees for investment I would talk to a timber consultant.  That will give you an idea of what you are dealing with.  Send a note to Forester Dave right here on this site. That is what he does for a living.  

I am a consulting forester.  I'll tell you what I know about locust.  It is useful to farmers as fence posts, but there is no industrial-level market for the species that I have found.  The people who take it are usually the ones who want to use it, rather than a sawmill buying it and marketing it from there.  So unless you can find a farm nearby who has a use for it, you may find it hard to unload.  It has limited use for wildlife.  You often find other species growing among what looks like a pure stand of locust, including cherry and black walnut.  If so, you could do management activities that would encourage these other species to gradually replace the locust.  When hop-farms were being put in all over the place (only a few years ago), I heard stories of hop farmers paying $100 apiece for locust of very specific lengths and diameters.  I never got to verify this because the hype was over before it started and there are not many hop farms in my immediate area.

Good luck if you should buy the property.  You are best NOT factoring any potential income from the timber when figuring up your price.

Peter Collin

Portageville, NY

Glazer...Is it black or honey locust? I hear they love the honey locust pods but this is black locust. Im looking at it in a week, cant get off work and two babies at home. Im looking at it primarily for hunting but i havent seen what else is there.

Glazer...Is it black or honey locust? I hear they love the honey locust pods but this is black locust. Im looking at it in a week, cant get off work and two babies at home. Im looking at it primarily for hunting but i havent seen what else is there.

I am having a Timber Stand Improvement project performed on a 30 acre patch that I own. The foresters marked every single locust (about 50 trees) on the patch for removal. And they are marked as firewood because most logging companies have no market for locust and don't waste their time on them. They consider them weed trees.

However, the independent logger that won my bid is willing to split some of them into fence posts for resale; the rest will end up as firewood.

Most privately held woodlots in NY are not managed. IMHO this is a huge mistake! Regardless of if your goal is to enhance wildlife habitat or encourage timber production,the money spent on a reputable forester is money well spent.

Ur land will only be as good as ur neighboring property. If u got neighbors that hammer them year after year or over hunt , don't play the wind ect ect its going to effect ur hunting. deer don't know property lines. Maybe stop and talk to neighbors or drive around the block on a early morning. Something to realy consider.

From what I see its solid woods for about 50-60 acres and this lot is in the middle. There are farms near and good size stream is down the rd. It looks country with just a few sporatic houses. Lots of cover, it would be a little work but think i can do some food plots and create a good habitat. It would only be myself and son when he gets older hunting it. Think i might walk it this sunday. It looks nice even if i just put a camp or campet on it

Ur land will only be as good as ur neighboring property. If u got neighbors that hammer them year after year or over hunt , don't play the wind ect ect its going to effect ur hunting. deer don't know property lines. Maybe stop and talk to neighbors or drive around the block on a early morning. Something to realy consider.

Not true. If this is the case with neighbor's, you must make your property attractive for when they are pressured.

silverfoxcharters.net

Finally got out to look at land. Lots of thornbushes. Got ripped apart pretty good but saw some decent sign. Im no tree person but i only looked in the front of the property and im sure i saw a lot of ash trees. Googled on phone and bark looked the same. The guy is going to bring a tractor and clear a big loop out. I think once that loop is cut out ill buy it off him.

Finally got out to look at land. Lots of thornbushes. Got ripped apart pretty good but saw some decent sign. Im no tree person but i only looked in the front of the property and im sure i saw a lot of ash trees. Googled on phone and bark looked the same. The guy is going to bring a tractor and clear a big loop out. I think once that loop is cut out ill buy it off him.

I'd wait on the loop part of this.

Instead, I'd talk with a forester first (I can give you a name of a good one) and possibly they can do a management plan for you to clear some trees and put some money in your pocket while at the same time creating better habitat and cover and trails for you. You'd get the logging trails for free and get some extra cash on a selective harvest timber sale.

Just my two cents,

Chris

I'd wait on the loop part of this.

Instead, I'd talk with a forester first (I can give you a name of a good one) and possibly they can do a management plan for you to clear some trees and put some money in your pocket while at the same time creating better habitat and cover and trails for you. You'd get the logging trails for free and get some extra cash on a selective harvest timber sale.

Just my two cents,

Chris

I just wanted him to cut a big loop path out through the property so I could get in there.  I plan on hunting it soon but can't even go 100 feet in w/o getting ripped apart.  He told me yesterday that he would have the guy avoid all of the trees, just cut through the brush.  He's paying for it, no trees cut before I buy it.  Sounded good to me.  I might ask you later for that forester though.  Like I said I think there are ash trees in there, but im no tree expert.  I know they go for a good rate now.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/spr2015summer.pdf

Here's the stumpage report for this summer. Ash is right up there, at an average price (median) going for $500 per 1000 board feet right behind oak at $600 per 1000.

If you buy the property and you plan on having it logged I would do it right after deer season before the prices drop again.

Be aware that the NYSDEC and Department of Agriculture and Markets (DAM) have quarantined areas which you (or the logger) ARENOT allowed to move ash lumber out of. I repeat ARENOT. I attached a link to the quarantined areas as well. Something else to consider.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/eabquarmay2015.pdf

Edited by WoodieBoater