Some thoughts on Perch fishing etiquette and other "issues"

I'm sure invasive species has had a lot to do with decline in all species... " the fishing ain't what it use to be (insert # of years here) years back"

Even I find my self telling younger guys the same thing.... 15 years ago you could fill a cooler in a couple hours... gill nets are a little much now a day's... but it's probably grandfathered in and a business that's been doing it forever... but even forever can come to and end

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/56020.html

Survey showed that of those who had opinion on sale panfish 77% want it banned. While less support in regions 5 and 6 it was still 2 to 1 wanting ban. Using the adage it is a way of life in north country is absurd. We used to stack up deer like cord wood. That did not make it ok.  I investigated the commercial gill net crew, and there are only 2 left in NY with nontransferable licenses and no more will be issued. So when they no longer exist that end is done. Do those that sell perch for extra income pay income tax on those fish they are squandering from state waters? How do we know the perch in our local restaurant is not coming from Onondaga now that fishing ban lifted there? A sting in 90's on Ontario nabbed those that sold 1.3 million pounds of panfish from NY of which some of the fish were in western states within 3 day. The only way to prevent the desire to cheat is to eliminate the profit. It is time! I have not found anyone in DEC who wants this practice to continue.

Thanks Dennis....certainly food for thought (and hopefully action). One of the things I'd like to make special note of that is not necessarily covered in any data collection and that is the the concept of specific species "vulnerability".  There is a lot of understandable concern about the vulnerability of trout and salmon to the illegal actions of poachers, snaggers or lifters while the fish are in the streams under low water conditions or during the spawning cycle and the concern for potential drastic drops in the populations of these fish.  This "vulnerability" is somewhat different with respect to panfish and perch in particular because they very frequently clump together in contained schools that are densely packed in very tight or in contained or confined areas (e.g. marinas or small shallow baysand/or under the ice) during the most vulnerable periods and often in shallow water. What this means is that they are highly susceptible to being taken in large numbers often very quickly  by individuals familiar with their habits and recent innovations and improvements in technology has radically  "improved" this ability. For example some perch fishermen are using underwater cameras to select out the largest perch (often gravid females) routinely as well as during "derbies" (and even scout them out days in advance) as well as the largest schools and then decimate their numbers day after day and the fact that perch often stay in or about the same area while feeding doesn't help either. Entire schools are taken out this way and those fishermen pay absolutely no attention to regulated "limits" either.. There are also some very greedy people that live right on some of the bodies of water and they continue to take limit after limit when they locate a large school and this goes on day after day all season long and because there is profit involved they have no regard whatsoever for future generations or the present fishermen for that matter and enforcement efforts are either totally lacking (most cases) or their transgressions very difficult to detect. Given all the other concerns such as invasive species, water pollution, predation over harvesting is not only a concern but rather a reality and the days of watching of kids with joyful expressions on their faces while catching panfish from a dock are nearly gone and in some places already a sorry fact of life. Something to think about whether a pan fisherman or not.....

Edited by Sk8man

A few facts.North country perch Lake Ontario have no limit.Lake eie has commercial perch fishing on the canadian side.It doesnt make sense to allow commercial on one side and put a limit on our side.Perch go through cycles ever so often and this year on lake Ontario is one of them.One major factor is alewife predation on perch eggs.

I fish pech and have few encounters with unsportsman behavior thankfully

Last fall and spring were slow on sodus so "Im not surprised by the downturn this year

This year I have noticed how little bait had come in and many perch are shallow feeding on perch fry.

Well more ducks around to enjoy and there"s basketball and hockey .

Slow perch fishing is a another event we can"t control.Like other errant fisherman events we can"t control.No different than impatient  motorists.All we can do is observe and avoid reacting.Staying calm is so important when tempers flare.

A few winters ago m son was duck  hunting on Seneca with friends in a layout boat.A hunter in a boat became angry over their offshore hunting and came out and argued with them.It was a example of what could happen when people lose control of themsleves.

There will always be inconsiderate people to deal with ,be glad most of us thank of others first

2008 State Assembly voted on bill in favor of ban. Senate voted unanimous. The then Governor, Paterson(not elected, took over when Spitzer had to leave) vetoed on last day possible. Close to having something in writing to offer. Will keep informed. Assembly had 8 no votes.

Edited by flyrod2