Savage 220

Miss em

3 inch federals..  They are "rifle accurate" out to 200 yards.  A really unbelievable slug gun,,

Anyone that thinks you need a 12 gauge for deer is mistaken...  I have shot 7 or 8 deer with my 220, with the 3 inch Federals and don't think they have gone 100 yards combined.

Enjoy your new purchase!

My 14 yr old daughter wants to start deer hunting (has already gotten her hunter safety certificate). Would the Savage 220 be a good starter gun for her? (We live in southern zone, would be hunting woods and fields).

Absolutely, low recoil and very accurate

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use the 3 inch Remington premier accutips. It's what the owners manual recommended and I'm getting consistent groups out to 150 yards.They are very hard to find this late in the year so if you find them buy all you can.I can't wait to see what they do on a deer.

My 14 yr old daughter wants to start deer hunting (has already gotten her hunter safety certificate). Would the Savage 220 be a good starter gun for her? (We live in southern zone, would be hunting woods and fields).

I'm sure it would be a great gun. Does she plan on hunting anything else? Or shooting clays? I bought my son a mossberg 500 combo with camo synthetic stock. Comes with a rifled slug barrel, and either a turkey barrel with choke tubes or a ventilated rib barrel for wing shooting (can be used for turkey too). A great value for under $500 out the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 3 weeks later...

I would advise you to be very careful with this gun,i know this from experience. the gun does not have a locking bolt, which means if you are hunting and the bolt gets pushed up 1/4 of a inch the gun will not fire when the trigger is pulled. I was lucky the first time it happened to me ,I was in a tree stand had a deer below me and pulled the trigger to a big click I quickly ejected a shell and shot the deer before it knew what was happening. after that experience I played with the gun some to find out what had happened. I liked the way the gun shot slugs so I decided not to sell it but ,I knew with the amount of time I still hunt that I had to do something so I was not continually worrying about pushing the bolt up. So I wrapped a rubber band around the trigger guard then to the bolt. If you use the right rubber band it will hold the bolt down and you will still be able to work the action. What really annoys me is that I have read at least a half dozen reviews on this gun and know one mentions this fact. lesson learned I will never buy another bolt action if the action doesn't lock

• 3 weeks later...