Hds for ice fishing

King Slammin

There is an ice fishing kit from Lowrance specifically  for the HDS unit but it will also work with the Mark 5 Pro unit as well. When I bought an Elite7 unit I decided to use my Mark5 for deep water ice fishing jigging for lakers. The icefishing kit comes with its own ice transducer so I left my old transducer and speed impeller and wiring hookup for it on the boat as a potential "backup" for the Elite.  I use my Vexilar for all the shallower water ice fishing as it is a faster "real time" display as contrasted with the LCD units which are somewhat slower displaying and the zoom is instantaneous in detecting  versus waiting for the display to emerge from right to left. The LCD units seem better for deep water application though as you can see the jig, the fish coming up or down to it and the way the jig is moving visually with less "interpretation".. Each type unit has its strengths and weaknesses. The bottom line however is that I have a usable (and useful) LCD unit rather than selling it etc. for about $100 for the ice fishing kit and I still have it as a potential backup for my Elite as well on the boat by a direct switch without re-installing anything. The LCD units can be noticeably "sluggish" in the extreme cold

post-145411-0-20487400-1447424263_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

There is an ice fishing kit from Lowrance specifically for the HDS unit but it will also work with the Mark 5 Pro unit as well. When I bought an Elite7 unit I decided to use my Mark5 for deep water ice fishing jigging for lakers. The icefishing kit comes with its own ice transducer so I left my old transducer and speed impeller and wiring hookup for it on the boat as a potential "backup" for the Elite. I use my Vexilar for all the shallower water ice fishing as it is a faster "real time" display as contrasted with the LCD units which are somewhat slower displaying and the zoom is instantaneous in detecting versus waiting for the display to emerge from right to left. The LCD units seem better for deep water application though as you can see the jig, the fish coming up or down to it and the way the jig is moving visually with less "interpretation".. Each type unit has its strengths and weaknesses. The bottom line however is that I have a usable (and useful) LCD unit rather than selling it etc. for about $100 for the ice fishing kit and I still have it as a potential backup for my Elite as well on the boat by a direct switch without re-installing anything. The LCD units can be noticeably "sluggish" in the extreme cold

I have an hds 7 so the ice pack is out. How is the interference and usefulness in say 15-30 FOW? It's going to cost me about $250-$300 to set it all up in a gear bag with ram mount so I can mount on four wheeler for GPS on the way out. I think we fish the same waters a lot (honeoye, silver, Oneida)

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I use mine without any vehicle etc. so the electrical interference of that type is unknown. I haven't had any difficulty with other units interfering with it out on the ice though. If it were me I would be sticking with my flasher (I think l I recall you have a Marcum?) for the shallow stuff and I use my hand held Lowrance H2O GPS ($120?) for that function or even my Bushnell Backtrack GPS ($90). Hard to beat the flasher zoom for perch and walleye in shallow water and the immediate reading in real time rather than waiting for the screen rewrites.....just my opinion though and I'm "old school" :lol: