Downrigger weights

TBrovata

Hey guys,

Starting to look forward to next season and I'd like to get a few things bought and out of the way so I can hit the water running next year.  I run Cannon 5ST's with 8 pound round weights that give tremendous blow back.  I want to get away from those and get something with a lot less blow back.  1. What will my Cannon 5ST handle for weight (12,16?) and 2. what shape works best for you guys for the least amount of blow back?

Thanks,

Tony

Thanks Dan,

I see there are a few different styles that claim to be "torpedo". There is one that looks like a true torpedo, another that has a fin that drops down on the back and another that looks like a shark. Do any of these work better over the other? I was wondering if there is any tracking issues with the torpedo that doesn't look like it has a fin to keep it moving in a straight direction. The last thing I want are a bunch of tangled lines. Thoughts?

Troutman87 is a solid maker of rigger weights.   A lot of people have done business with him, as have I.   I use his torpedo shaped weights, and they are basically a bullet shape with a tail for straight tracking.   

I purchased 2 12 pounders from him last year with shipping for I think (don't quote me on this) $89.    The run straight, and are great quality.

As for your maximum weight, your manual should have it,  http://www.motocraft.gr/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/MAGNUM5STMANUAL.pdf (I think this is the one for your set).   If not,

contact Cannon directly and ask.  They usually respond within a day.

Good luck!

Your downriggers are rated to, and will handle, 20lb weights. In the top 100' you can get away with 12-13lb weights, but 15lb weights would be your best option. Blow back on a rigger makes netting fish that much harder, and let's face it newbies cant control Salmon at the back of the boat. 

250# test braid is coming into use for downrigger cable. Less vibration noise is it's in selling point. Blowback has not been determined but a ten to one safety factor would allow 25 pound cannonballs. Commercial trollers on the West Coast use up to 100 pound cannonballs.

I also have been using Troutmans weights for several years. Love the 15lb. torpedos. If you don't want to pay the shipping you can tie up with him at the Finger Lakes Trollers show in March, in Watkins Glen. Great spot to dump some more $$$.

• 3 weeks later...

Your downriggers are rated to, and will handle, 20lb weights. In the top 100' you can get away with 12-13lb weights, but 15lb weights would be your best option. Blow back on a rigger makes netting fish that much harder, and let's face it newbies cant control Salmon at the back of the boat. 

I agree, I run Troutman's 16 pounders.

Braid is thinner than wire cable and has less blow back.

Depends on what braid  you're talking about. 250lb braid is the same diameter as 150lb cable (which comes on most riggers) if you compare 150lb braid to 150lb cable the braid is smaller. I only mention this because a poster above mentioned 250lb braid.