Newbie questions

Lively1

1-4x20 Leupold shotgun scope here. Best money I've spent on that Winchester pump. Haven't shot it in about 8 yrs since I always hunt in Madison County and carry my Guide Gun or bolt action. Shot it today and it put a big smile on my face since its what I grew up with...probably gonna carry it for oldtimes sake this season. That gun isn't a handicap one bit.

1-4x20 Leupold shotgun scope here. Best money I've spent on that Winchester pump. Haven't shot it in about 8 yrs since I always hunt in Madison County and carry my Guide Gun or bolt action. Shot it today and it put a big smile on my face since its what I grew up with...probably gonna carry it for oldtimes sake this season. That gun isn't a handicap one bit.

Same here with old shotgun. Model 870 Remington born before me. Serial number 5477...the gun...I feel older than numbers today. I need refinishing like it did. Put a Remington rifled barrel on it 2x7x32 scope, not a great scope, but works for now. Very accurate and trustworthy to 200 yds with Hornady sst. Great round for long shot terminal performance. Close range I like winchester partition gold. Sst is too fast under 75 yards in my experience. Better expansion with winchester at close range, but not as good as sst for accuracy at 200yds.

Still a great shotgun at home in any place most rifles can hit deer in the pie plate in ny. It deserves new glass of higher quality.

post-140268-14481262567774_thumb.jpg

post-140268-14481263789277_thumb.jpg

Edited by skipper19

Wingmaster??? Much better than the Express...

I prefer the Winchester 1300's myself. They fit me better. I'd be ashamed to post a pic of either of mine...one will kill deer and the other, rustoleum black will kill everything else. Neither are pretty but if I had a pretty gun, I would be worried too much about scratches and not focus on hunting. Today, however, my fairly modern Savage 111 30-06 probably topped off the freezer in short order...

Wingmaster yes, and it was really sad looking when I got it. Patina is ok for old rat rods but not for a shotgun. This one has been used for my trap gun since around 1971. Won a lot of shootoffs with it when younger. Still trap with it.

I was becoming shy with its appearance along side of all those 1000 dollar over under guns and such at the shoots a few years ago. I had to dress her up a bit so I didn't look like a hillbilly even though I am. I took the gun apart, cleaned and polished every metal and re-blued everything except the reciever and bolt. The reciever was polished to a mirror with jeweler Rouge on a buff wheel, and then got a jewling effect applied with thumb twist on 400 grit emery paper in overlapping pattern. When it was done I shot the metal with ultra clear acrylic to stop corrosion. The stock sanded smooth and refinished along with the forearm. The bolt left mirror finish.

The whole thing looks way better now and folks first looking at from distance, were surprised to see it was an 870.

Now the flat mat black slug barrel just make it an awesome looking gun.

Brass wire yes. Just enough to loosen foul from sabot plastic and residue. I use a little solvent then patches with solvent until they come out clean. If you can remove the barrel before cleaning that is best. Keep from pushing foul out in the chamber that way, and you can see the shine! End with the rug sweep and a well oiled patch.