What Navionics to get?

njg0621

So I have a Hummingbird 859DI and I am going to get a Navionics chip for it.  My question is what is the best choice? Navionics Gold, Navionics Hotmaps Premium or Platinum? To me it looks like Hotmaps Platinum for fishermen (that's what I'm using it for).  Any advice appreciated!

There is 2 choices: Navionics+ pre-loaded that include the US & Canadian waters without the sonarchart. If you want it you have to download it for the region or water you fish. If the water you fish is cover on the regional Platinium then you can get the Platinium that offer sonarchart already on the card.

I'm including some links that you should take a look to get a better view of what you should get. On the webapp when you activate the blue icon on the bottom left on the page that will give you a view of sonarchar (it's 1ft contour lines instead of 3'ft) very useful for fishing.

Webapp: http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#@6&key=oritGjej%60M

Navionics+: http://www.navionics.com/en/navionics-plus

Platinium: http://www.navionics.com/en/platinum-plus

To view sonarchart on the webapp:

Flegraveche%20sur%20sonarchart_zpsvss6yf

To view coverage:

Webapp_zpsgppabfhd.jpg

Coverage for Platinium+:

P%20choices_zps0jqbm10s.jpg

Lake Ontario with sonarchart activate:

shot007_zps983e1110.png

Edited by wallyandre

Very useful info there I wish I had this info before I bought my Navionics I chose the 1 below the platinum and it is of the northeast. I'm very pleased with it but mine is a 3 foot contour chip and I needed the mini chip which was included.

Humminbird's Lakemaster map is AWESOME for Lake Ontario. The other lakes I could look into for you on my ice unit. Prior to the Lakemaster chip this season I ran the Platinum+ Navionics chip in my 'Birds. It's a great chip.

This is why I can't make up my mind! lol To me it is between the Hummingbird Lakemaster and the Navionics Platinum+ BUT I don't know what one to choose!

I fish a lot of different places so I bought the premium chip of the north east. This chip is awsome it shows the SLR from start to the ocean all of LakeO and to like Port Clinton on Erie on and on it has 118 lakes on it and I found it to be dang close with the depth charts, even little lakes such as Swartswood in NJ. which is only a few hundred acres, small enough that it's a electric motor lake only. I just did a update which now it's in 1ft contours. But if you only fish a few specific lakes those chips are supposed to be way more detailed. My buddy is a semi pro bass angler and last year he won a 21ft boat with a 200 hp Yamaha on it all decked out with electronics and it came with a 898 bird and he had the different individual chips, I don't see that big of a difference but they were lakes in the NE. Raystown lake, lake Wallenpawpack. My chip covers both those lakes, like I mentioned I didn't see that it was any better. But maybe the lake masters are as good if not better. When I bought this chip, 3 years ago lake master had very little to offer in the lowrance units. I know it's a hair pulling should I shouldn't I decision. Good luck just make sure it has what you want and where you want. Pap

One thing to consider with Navionics is the fact they always improving with people that log with their units as I do. I run a Lowrance Gen3 and it's always link with my Navionics Boating app on my old IPhone that I use only for that; so once at home I connect my IPhone to my home wifi and sent my daily logs to improve the mapping and some of my friends are also doing the same so it become a community work improvement.

The other thing with Navionics you can see what you get by looking at the webapp in youre living room, so you can make a smart decision. ILink works only if it's a HD lake I think? LO is a HD?

For certain bodie of water both are good maps but if you ever decide to buy another brand of sonar-gps the Lakemaster won't work; with the Navionics the same card can be use in a Lowrance and a HB