Brittany

#1 grandson [ 13 yoa ] has bonded to hunting [ " better to take the kid hunting than to go hunting for the kid ! " ]

His mother has interest in getting him a dog ; we have a fully trained Labrador . If he sees it he gets but generally will not point .

What is the general opinion on the Brittany , the few that I have seen at the hunt club have been great workers . The dog would also have to be a house pet ?

Grew up with a Brittany as a house pet - no hunting. He would chase a ball all day long, and point to any birds & critters in the yard as part of his natural instincts.

One problem we had has that he suffered from low blood sugar and would suffer diabetics seizures if he played too much. We would be able to bring him out of the seizure with Kayro corn syrup rubbed on his inner cheeks. Not 100% certain, but I though I was told at one time that seizures like that are known issue for the Brittany breed.

Edited by JJBat150

Brittanys are nice dogs. They are energetic in the field. They point well. I didn't like taking burrs out of their hair. They can be a little goofy and prone to doing things for attention like eating shoes ......or whole nightgowns. Great hunting dog and good family pet. Just make sure you exercise them or goofy gene comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a brittney. Best dog i ever owned. Lived to hunt. She didnt point, but i never tried training her too. She could find birds other dogs worked right past. She also worked a big rooster out of some grass into hardwoods, the bird flushed, she jumped about 3.5 ft up and grabbed the bird. Cant say enough about that dog.