Yankee's Bow Buck

Well, I hadn't even planned on hunting this season, and I never stepped foot in the woods last season, but I had an opportunity to get in the woods so I took it. Between my day job and the charter business my Spring, Summer, and Fall are shot and leave little to no time for scouting and hanging stands. Not to mention I have no place to hunt. I was supposed to go to the Bay of Quinte to chase some GIANT Lake Ontario Walleye, but it wasn't set up yet so we decided not to go. My tourney team mate Justin said I could come hunt his property with him. 

On the morning sit I saw a total of 6 does with the closest being 90 yards away. As the morning rolled into early afternoon I was questioning my being in the woods. I mean I don't eat them, and I felt really unprepared. However, I stuck it out. We went to grab lunch, and I decided to get the night sit over with and that would be it for my "hunting season." Up in the stand by 2:30pm, and at 4:15pm I hear a buck grunting. I was in some thick stuff with the farthest shot being about 22 yards. Not knowing if this was some other hunter grunting and stalking or an actual deer i hit him back with a grunt and can. When I heard him grunting while circling down wind of me I knew we had a buck working the area. A few more grunts and bleats and I can hear him coming on a sting downwind of me. He pops out and I can see it's a dandy. He see's me draw and stops. He turns to back out and as he did this I had a 20yd quartering away shot where I smoked both lungs and his heart. He went 50 yards. 

This is my biggest archery buck to date. Not giant, but a 3.5yr old 8 point. It's tough to see in the pic, but he had some really cool crab claws at the end of each antler. Sharing it with a couple of buddies is what made the whole hunt. Just going hunting to me is boring, but doing it with friends makes it 100x's better!

post-139479-0-12255200-1448479220_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yankee Troller

Nice buck! Welcome to the "crab claw" club. However, I cannot believe you said "just going hunting is boring"......lol. Just bustin' yer chops.

WTG on the deer - be safe and have a Happy Thanksgiving

Chris

Nice going Rick and I think you have your priorities right too....the relationships really make the experience whether hunting or fishing :yes: 

Nice going Rick and I think you have your priorities right too....the relationships really make the experience whether hunting or fishing :yes:

You should see the relationship he has with his pee wee Herman blow up doll!

silverfoxcharters.net

Real nice buck Rick!! As always great story with it, how wides the rack? I count 8 is there any I missed?

Congrats on your hunt!

It only has 8 points. I didn't do any measuring, unfortunately. Once we got it out of the woods it went in my buddys truck to go to the taxidermist. 

It only has 8 points. I didn't do any measuring, unfortunately. Once we got it out of the woods it went in my buddys truck to go to the taxidermist.

OOH YAAA!! I hear YA there Rick!! Once again congrats to your hunt and trophy. It doesn't have to set records, a trophy is what "you" want it to be!!!