Spring Fishing

Hey guys, just joined the forum. Posts look great, lots of tips. I Just got a new Lowe fm165 with a 75 optimal. Get a 9.9 kicker for trolling. I'm assuming that can handle Lake Ontario on a good day. I've only been on Ontario once with a guide but now that I can get out on my own I was looking for some information. Some spots to get out come spring, depths I should be looking for, really any information that may land me a fish or two. Besides the obvious find the crowd, what depths and points can I get out of to find the salmon?

Im not expecting your honey holes or gps coordinates but any info would be appreciated.

Spring time port dalhousie and jordan station. You can find browns as early as March if the weather is good. Stay in tight to shore with planners stick baits on the long lines and spoons on the riggers and short cores can produce. For the salmon... well they can be hard to find so look for green water and bait. They can be I 20 feet or 100 feet in the spring but usually if you can find good colour and bait salmon will be around. This spring I stayed inside of 100 feet till July and found salmon. Nothing huge but some good fish.

I've only been on lake simcoe down rigging for lakers where I just slap a stick bait on a rigger and control my speed/depth so a lot of this is going to be test and tune plus a lot of learning. Is it noticeable the water colour difference? What are short cores?

I apologize for my stupidity in advance lol

Core is short for lead core line.  It sinks at about 4-5' for every 30' out.  The line also changes color every 30' so "two colors" is 60' and will sink about 10' at normal trolling speeds.  You can use mono or braid backing and tie 2/3/4 colors on to get to different depths.  Also use a mono or floro leader of maybe 15'25'. 

No worries the colour difference is very clear often you will see a line when clear water meets the coloured water. And the visibility decreases considerably you will know it when when you see it. Short cores that I started using this spring were 2 and 3 colour lead core. I bought a full 300 feet 10 colour and made a 2,3, and 5 colour setup for different depths. In the spring I definitely notice slower speeds to be more effective and as the water warms you can usually speed up your troll. Once you find a speed they like for the day it's important to try to keep that Constant if possible. It's a lot to learn out there I am still new to this too next year will be season 5 and every year you learn a little more. There is a lot of great info on this site and if you read over some old post you will find a ton of great information.

Yea you guys are great, all the info is much appreciated. I will have to do some serious digging through the posts on here, hopefully the homework over the winter will help produce some fish next season. If anyone is looking for a fishing buddy I'm usually available if I don't have plans to get out with a friend already. My boat should do well out there, it's just my riggers are cheap. I have the mini troll's with only 100' of wire. I'll need to look into some better ones for the season, if anybody is looking to sell some id be interested to see what you have.

post-159535-14486263036925_thumb.jpg

haha that's your winter boat? I just upgraded to this from a little 14' aluminum with a 9.9. It's going to take me some time to get to that level!! Nice looking boat big water. With mine being a bit smaller I just have to be a bit more careful when the weather starts to blow right

Keep it to waves three feet or less and get off of the water when it starts to get bad and you'll be ok. If you have manual riggers, you'll be looking for electronics soon. If you get hooked on Ontario like I did, you'll be spending money like a drunk sailor soon.

Edited by Big Water

Yea, I'm just a bit timid given it will be my first time out on Ontario so it will take some getting use to, trying to launch as close as possible to my location I'm fishing or getting the crap scared out of me once to learn my lesson. I'm sure once I start digging thru posts on here I'll get enough information for the do's and dont's.

I'm not about to run from port credit to Hamilton in a 16.5' boat in hopes good weather will hold up for a day

Can't fish on a sunken boat,

These guys are 100% on when they say there is a lot of great info on here that guys share and will speed up the learning process. But I think the best advice is what Big Water shared about the lake. She can turn ugly in no time with little warning and is very unforgiving. Check the weather before heading out, keep a marine radio on and by all means if the USCG puts out an alert or a Captain running radar gives a report, listen to them and get in. Much better to quit unexpectedly and live to fish tomorrow than not at all. Good luck out there

Edited by Firechief48

How you set the boat up will have a big impact on your success.Put your riggers , rodholders & boards in the right locations so you can get at them eaisily.

You will need a depth finder . surface temp & speed also would be nice  .

Boards for spring. Shallow stickbaits  best option.

A pair of manual rigger would be nice when the fish are out past 10 -15' or so but not needed. Sticks or deep divers that run deeper can do that. Or put a few shot on in front of them . Only run a few rods at a time .

You are not a big boat so don't try to be. The big boats have some big advantages . But a smaller boat  can have some huge advantages over them . You can get in very shallow into the warm water . you are also much more nimble & can turn around & stay on the spot  much easier than a big boat can. When the kings  stage after labor day or when the fish are in a small piece of warm  water  springtime.

Also timing is everything as you are not going to chase the fish all over the lake.Wind is everything . I bring my bass rods and I can't get on the lake I fish  the creek.

I have a 21' hardtop & a 16 aluminum . I have way more fun  after labor day in the small boat.

Safetyy first.

Don't forget the net.

Good luck

I do have a lowrance elite 5 Chirp, I'll just have to pay attention to the SOG without investing in a the hawk units.

Any suggestions on setting up the riggers? I've seen a lot of people use boards across the back of the boat, I do need something that I can remove or at least take the riggers out, 7 out of 10 days I fish are spent fishing for bass

I made a board for mine  that i can take on nd off ,I have it across the gunnels w/ riggers at a 45 deg hanging off the sides in front of the motor well. You need to be able to get at them easily & safely so you can adjust depth & set your baits out. This is critical so you can keep from snagging & go after the fish you see on your depth finder.Very 9important for after labor day kings. I constantly adjust depth for this.

Spring I like to run stickbaits back 75-200' and put the ball just under the surface or 10-15' off the bottom' once I get out over 12-15'. Caught many a spring king doing this.

I do have a lowrance elite 5 Chirp, I'll just have to pay attention to the SOG without investing in a the hawk units.

Any suggestions on setting up the riggers? I've seen a lot of people use boards across the back of the boat, I do need something that I can remove or at least take the riggers out, 7 out of 10 days I fish are spent fishing for bass

A Bert's or Canon track system is the way to go.  Both rod holders and the downriggers can be installed in the track and can then be moved or removed.  Downrigger can be mounted on a pedestal mount that slides in the track to make them sit higher (easier to access).  The tracks come in several lengths and there are many accessories that you can use in the track system.  Check out their website.  Mount riggers toward the back and rod holders further up the side.

post-146674-0-44826000-1448929909_thumb.png

post-146674-0-40524000-1448929913_thumb.png

Edited by Big Water

Yea, someone was telling me about the tracks I can put on the side. Something I will have to look into. I just can't wrap my head around catching these salmon in 20 feet of water. This is going to be an experience.

You are putting the ball down 15' the. Running sticks that go what? Another 5-10?

Spring fishing is usually targeting brown trout in 5-20 FOW with stick baits.  mid-March thru April.  You just use the riggers down 2-10' and run 100+ feet of line out to the stick bait.  Salmon are an incidental catch since the water is too cold for them to be very active.  Beginning late April through May, they are more often found in 60-120 FOW and that's where you need the riggers.  These are all approximations, but you get the idea.  When you're in 15 FOW (feet of water), you're brown trout fishing for the most part.

You are awesome, I really didn't think posting on forums were this helpful.

There's some Big Browns out there too.

Regardless of what you are catching, a few fish is always Better then no fish, I don't understand the guys targeting a specific Species and get upset catching something else, some of the colours on the Browns or rainbows are too good.

If you ever want to get out fishing just let me know, I'll be more then happy heading out with someone new. It's always fun trading stories over a day.