Cayuga 9/28/15 Cayuga

Headed North out Dean's. Setup over 100fow. Started off slow until about 1. Picked up one from there with 4 Lakers, a Rainbow, and a small salmon.

Caught one of the Lakers on 3 colors out on a board... thought I had a big pike or maybe a big rainbow... boy was I surprised getting a laker in 25fow. Probably one of the last times out. Temperature going to drop sooner or later.

post-158349-0-26721900-1448750787_thumb.jpg

post-158349-0-11644800-1448750840_thumb.jpg

post-158349-0-31067000-1448750879_thumb.jpg

I hope there is atleast one more good day. Tell you what the laker that hit in 25fow reminded me of jaws.... towing the planner board backwards... couple times in looked like he started dragging it under! Optical illusion most likely but at the time I thought I had a big rainbow or pike... Pike was first thought tho since I was in shallow. Hit on a Sutton 22. Rainbow that I caught was out over 80 or 100 fow.

I try to always fish where the bubble lines are, or scum build up. My guess is that this is different water column kinda like a rip tide. Not sure of the sciences behind it, but I'm sure it has to do with current speed.

I agree with you in my experience the scum line is usually current running north. If there are weeds they will be in those. I think that the water is a bit more oxygenated in those slicks. In the spring the mud lines show current direction very well and I like to fish the edges then too. Next time out this winter I am going to try a large spoon or stick to mimic a stocker sized brown. I knew an older guy that had pics of huge browns he caught with 6" stick baits in the middle of the winter on Cayuga. Gonna give it a try.... again, nice report thanks.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This time of year the lakers in the Finger Lakes are often in shallow for their pre-spawn ritual "grouping" (e.g. circling each other grouped up and doing things that resemble nesting behavior) behavior and sometimes non-spawners follow the huge schools of fatheads into the shallows as well. (The guys in Geneva know what I'm talking about :lol: )

Edited by Sk8man

Jointed Rapala and Original floater I've heard from two guys. I been trying to catch a brown this year. The water is way down and if you go to Dean's cove bring a shovel. The launch was blocked up by about a foot of everything the lake could puke up.

They hitting hard because of the pre-spawn?

Anyone notice scar face in the photo? Shows what they can live threw.

Edited by FishingTheFL