Corned Canada Goose recipe. Check it out!

I think I got the idea to prepare goose breasts the same way you would corned beef from a topic on this forum. Finally I had a successful goose hunt and was eager to try it. I bought a pack of instacure #1 from The Sausage Maker and some McCormick pickling spice. I had 2.5 pounds of goose breast (only 3 breasts, they were big birds!). I used the ratio on the package of instacure and about 2 TBS of spice to a with a half cup of brown sugar and a 1/4 cup salt to a gallon of water. I let this brine/pickle for 7 days in the fridge (use a gallon zip top bag and place it in a tub to catch leaks): I took it out of the brine and rinsed it this morning before work and put it along with carrots, potatoes, and cooking onions (no cabbage for this guy) in the crockpot on low for 8 hours while I worked. This turned out great! Tastes just like corned beef (a little beefier). Finger lakes goose paired with a pint of the black from a Finger Lakes brewery, does it get any better?!

P.S. If you mentioned something about serving corned goose at a wild game dinner on this forum, thanks for the idea! If I saw it on another website I'll blame it on the hops and barley over the last year for clouding my memory

post-148029-0-11474800-1448843370_thumb.jpeg

post-148029-0-73264000-1448843399_thumb.jpeg

post-148029-0-75447500-1448843461_thumb.jpeg

Edited by dawsonscreek

I make mine using Mortons Tenderquick, pickling spices, and onion. It also comes out great. On a side note, once you make it into corned beef, you can turn it into pastrami by simply rubbing it with pepper, paprika ,and coriander and then smoking it. This is very delicious!

I also just purchased a pressure canner and am going to can a bunch for something different and to take up less freezer space! Lots of good ways to use goose once you figure them out. I also use the legs and braise them or grind them to make sausage. You get about a third more meat if you use the legs than if you just breast and the leg meat is great but somewhat time consuming to get.

Kevin, I've been telling fellow goose hunters for years to take a little extra time and save the legs.  Too much work they say.  It may take me an extra couple minutes to get the legs.  My hunting partner and I use them for soup or to braise them like you do.  Excellent eating.  To just discard them is such a waste.

I too do a lot of corned breasts using the Tenderquick and pickling spices.  I've been thinking about the pastrami for a while now and am going to try it with the next batch. 

Really cool reading about the "old school" ways! I wouldn't give up my pressure cookers, I can use less of a cut of meat and the cooker turns it into tender no knifes required to eat pieces of meat. Great read fella's!!

I make mine using Mortons Tenderquick, pickling spices, and onion. It also comes out great. On a side note, once you make it into corned beef, you can turn it into pastrami by simply rubbing it with pepper, paprika ,and coriander and then smoking it. This is very delicious!

I also just purchased a pressure canner and am going to can a bunch for something different and to take up less freezer space! Lots of good ways to use goose once you figure them out. I also use the legs and braise them or grind them to make sausage. You get about a third more meat if you use the legs than if you just breast and the leg meat is great but somewhat time consuming to get.

Kevin,

How long do you smoke it for?