Air brush

Xxx

My daughter out of the blue yesterday, said she would like a air brush. She is very artistic and always was from preschool to date. I was surprised as she showed so much interest when "we" made our jigs. I never mentioned that's how the guys make their spoons. So my question to you guys is which air brush should I get her? I checked out a bunch of sites that sell the brushes, but I would like to hear from the hands on guys, keep in mind she is only 10 but I don't want the bottom of the barrel either. If it doesn't work like she is expecting she will get disgusted and loose interest quick. She also knows it's not a spray bomb, "it's to add character to the picture dad". Ok then, I said. On that note I'll wait for your input, thanks guys PAP.

Thanks guys, I actually looked at the harbor freight ones but the reviews weren't the best, also saw a UTube vid showing a harbor freight brush vs. a better one, so thanks Alex for the heads up. Yea I never gave the pelt guys a thought Dan, I'll look into some of those sites also. Power Dive I'll look into that name also. I want to thank all those for their input. PAP.

As a former taxidermist I can tell you something like Harbor Freight is ok and will get the job done but there is no comparison to a Paasche for getting better detail and much smoother operation and it sounds like you have an artist that just might want that. Old saying, you get what you pay for. VanDykes is one of the bigger suppliers of taxidermy supplies and have a good selection.

Edited by Firechief48

Thanks Firechief48,!! There is a artistic ability on my side of the family, one day she picked up a pencil and drew a very good pic. of that purple critter Barney, and she has won many contests at school, clay figures and snowflake pics you name it. I have a hard time drawing a stick figure. I will look at the site you mentioned also. Thanks for your input. PAP

• 3 weeks later...

A Paasche is a great starter brush. They have several models and styles. A gravity fed double action will be the best for her to learn with. No bottles and minimal paint waste. She can graduate to an iwata later.

You will also need a compressor to run it. The compressor will need to hold 20 psi sustained. They make small "airbrush" compressors that are relatively quiet and fairly cheap.

Well I got her a Iwata eclipse, I bought the hose from the gun to the pump, but I'm going to put a regulator on my compresser and run a line to her paint station in the basement, all I have to do is remove a tile out of the drop ceiling and drop the hose down and attach the gun hose which I have all ready. She has mentioned that she hopes Santa brings her a air brush!!! I got a book on air brush basics, and a bunch of stencils to practice on. I hope she does good with it so she can do spoons and stuff for me LOL to tell ya the truth I kind of pushed this because the wife was a little Leary about this.LOL A present for the both of us!!!! OOh I forgot to mention that I got it at a craft store called Michael's they had a percentage of the whole store plus my wife mrs."coupon" had another coupon which brought the gun down to $109.00, but the following day they had a 40% sale on the tips and the hose and the paints along with other stuff that fell into the same category, so then she was a lot happier about it but I had to run and pick it up the next day. They had it all in a bag so all I had to do was pick it up!! Merry Christmas to all!!!! PAP

Edited by pap

Pap,

My wife uses a air brush for cake decorating and I just bought an airbrush for myself to eventually do some spoons.  My plan is to use the food coloring for airbrushes my wife for her cakes to practice with before using paint.  That way cleanup of the airbrush, practice material and the work area is easier and its cheaper than using the auto paint I plan on using for the lures.  Once I get some comfort putting my design down using that switch over.

That's a good idea, the guy at the store was very knowledgeable and he set us up with water soluble paints, but maybe your idea might be better, I don't know? Well it's to late to change now but will keep in mind. Thanks for the input.

Pap that's a awesome airbrush for her that will perform for years to com make sure you run two water traps one on compresser and one on the gun awata makes one that hooks right to the gun it's 19.00 bucks good luck to ya!

Thanks PD I will get the second one that hooks to the gun!!