How do you connect to a spoon ?

Spoon rigging  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Spoon rigging

• Tie to the spoon the way it came out of the package
    • Use a swival
    • Add a split ring...if not supplied with the spoon
    • other

During the Pro Am last week, I took some flack (In good fun....I think :? ) about rigging spoons. I tie an improved clinch knot directly to the spoon....however it came out of the package. I don't use swivals cause I tie a really fast knot and that's just how I've always done it. I seldom have a knot fail, but of course last week I had one fail and It cost a fish and a spoon.

Maybe I need to change my :devil: ways and start using small swivals. I had to agree that one knot has less chances to fail than 10 knots.

How do you terminate a spoon?

i run spoons however they arrive in the package. on my rods i tie a good coast lock swivel on w/ a palomar knot

Yep me too. But on cayuga using small spoons, I'll just use a small snap. I don't seem to get line twist but if I ran a big spoon, the line twists up pretty good with out a swivel.

RR

Hmmmm.....good point about line twist, but it has not happened to me. I'm guessing that's cause I use a real small spro swival to connect my floro leader to the main line.

C'mon guys...help out a brother here! It's a landslide so far and now my teammates are gonna really push me to start using swivals. Maybe this poll wasn't such a good idea :lol::lol:

20# big game to a spro swivel/duolock snap. Used to use cross lock and add a split ring to lures without them (moonshines, stingers) with the duolock I don't need the split ring. I hate loosing any tackle so I avoid florocarbon and tie the big game twine directly to the swivel-snap. In the green water I don't feel like floro is needed.

CC

Thanks....I took a real beating on this one! I'll start using the #30 sampo swivels. I figure if guys join me for a trip and are used to using swivels, it will more comfortable for me to switch to swivels than for them to tie knots every time. Just never gave it thought cause that's what I've always done.

Thanks for all the input!

I see a lot of you guys run leaders off your main lines to spoons. My question is what is the advantage? I can see running leaders off steel, copper, dipsys, etc. I use all clear line with swivals and attach my lures directly to main line.

Rod,

I run a small spro power swivel between the 20 lb main line and the 12 lb fluoro leader and then just a small duolock snap to the lure. This works great for browns ealy, especially in clear thin water. Later in the season when targeting kings off the riggers I just remove the leader and use a duolock at the lure. The main advantages are (only my opinion) that the spoon/lure has more action and changing out is quick and is easier to see that you have a solid connedtion.

You have caught many more salmon than I but I bet I've got more browns, every system has its place.

Everyone looses tackle it's part of the game.

That's why we get so much enjoyment ribbing fellow anglers :evil: :$;(:(:):lol:

Can't wait to fish again with you and Jeff.

Rod,

You have caught many more salmon than I but I bet I've got more browns, every system has its place.

Everyone looses tackle it's part of the game.

That's why we get so much enjoyment ribbing fellow anglers :evil: :$;(:(:):lol:

Can't wait to fish again with you and Jeff.

Your right on the browns....I've yet to really get into that fishery yet. We'll talk about it more when we get some time on the water in Oswego. Having a back up brown plan is always a good idea in the Oswego tourney(s) and that's right down your alley.

You and Jeff win this one....me and my black eye will head to Cabelas this week for swivels and to exchange those two rods we broke.... :roll:

looks like we are set for the Oswego Pro Am....Myself, You, Jeff and Marcus are all in.

For the Sodus Pro Am....It's myself and Nick (aka Bobs_boy) so far. Still need to talk to Marcus on that one, but I think he is entering their boat in that one?

When expecting to change lures....Optitackle's duolock snap, married to a spro SOLID ring swivel. If I know what I am using, I just use the spro barrel swivel on the split ring.....less to break...no clasp to open up on you when the big boy hits.