single or triple

I heard from someone that if you switch from a triple hook to a single it could mess up the action on your spoon due to loss of wheight any one know if this is true. :$ god i hope not i just changed all 300 spoons to single :x

I know it is true if you go from a single to a treble. I'm not sure about the way you explained (because I don't like single hooks because they always seem to come out the eye of skippers and small steelies.) Try one and see how it looks along side the boat.

Freeman - The great majority of my spoons are singles. You'll find that you'll be able to troll slower with them & they still wobble. However on the high end they'll spin out a little sooner.

Weight is a factor but so is drag against the water as it wobbles back & forth. i.e The treble has more surface area hence offers more resistance whipping through the water. It's true that you will brain hook a few shakers, however you'll have more solid hookups with their big brothers.

Some guys think singles mess up the action, others think it enhances the action. Like everything you have to weigh the pros & cons and how you fish. On the plus side, singles are easier to remove from their mouths; easier to remove from netting; easier to store...

Interestingly, I have inadvertently snagged an occassional fish from the deep with singles.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Freeman,

I had this very conversation with the owner of Northern King lures last year at their spring factory sale.

LongLine's post on speed is spot on.

Many spoon blanks are sold during the sale, treble AND single hooks are available from NK to "build your own" spoons. I run all single hooks in the sizes they recommend, and get my share of fish.

NK mags...4/0 single siwash hook

NK 28.... 3/0 single siwash hook

Run 2/0 hooks on the smaller / lighter spoons

I hope this helps....

Jim S.

Jeff-

I could write some sort of a joke about you not having to worry about what kind of hooks are on your spoons- since the only time you catch fish is when you are on my boat. Like always- 2 in the pink, 1 in the _____

WSA2943 Schoolmaster on the side of 70- over and out

well I would say we "catch" fish on your boat but I think it more like you lose fish on your boat and mine haha. man it would have been nice to see the school masters name on the board another time we all cant get the fish to the boat like me.