Line Lifespan

gbill512

The question is not really an easy one to answer in short especially without actually seeing the lines in question. There are many factors involved in line condition aside from just the length of time it has been on the reel. Each type of line has its own characteristics that translate into strengths and weaknesses.  For example mono and fluoro can be adversely affected by sunlight and high temperatures and moisture (i.e. humidity) during both use and storage. Leadcore can appear fine as far as the outer casing where much of the actual strength comes from while it can be separated (even in several places) internally without you detecting it visually. Some braid can fade from sunlight exposure and can weaken as well. If the braid (e.g. Power Pro) is faded and it is for only a short section (which may be used frequently) you may be able to just cut off a few feet and be OK. Another strategy is to reverse the line so that you are using the often larger part that has probably not seen a lot of use compared with the front part of the line. Usually the lighter the lb test the more the line strength becomes an issue but it also can depend on the condition of your rod line guides and tip and the line guide of the reel . You can also do the reversal method with SS wire if need be. I have had stainless wire on a couple of my Seth Green rigs for about 30 years or more but I inspect it routinely and redo connections periodically. On the 30 lb stuff (wire dipsey rods) I take a few feet off of it (at the front near the swivel) as I start a new season. I have never had ss wire break in and of itself on any of my rods. With leadcore I'd carefully check the outside sheathing for any obvious abnormal wear, frays, cuts or weak spots and if noted change the line. It is not the best idea to use it directly on your releases when using it from boards either or at least use it with relatively weak rubber bands or splice in a short section of mono for attachments etc. When using single strand copper cut out any kinks and splice in a small barrel swivel.....any kink will eventually fail. braided copper line is a little more kink tolerant but if it doesn't straighten out fully...better to be safe than sorry...cut it out and splice in a small high quality barrel swivel (e.g. #8 SPRO Power swivel).

I know some guys on here may change their lines very frequently but unless you are a charter guy or very heavy use sport it is usually unnecessary if you haven't had any problems with it.

Edited by Sk8man

After several failures with my eighteen pound test leadcore  I have switched to twenty seven pound test leadcore.

What make were you using? Defiantly not what I wanted to hear, I never got a chance to use mine last year. Spent mucho $$ on line and terminal gear. Did you notice the extra 2ft claimed to achieve? Thanks PAP.

Jimski2  I used the 18 lb years ago and although the lead diameter appears the same diameter as the 27 lb the sheathing seems more durable on the 27 lb (that is where the strength comes from too) and especially if using for larger fish say on Ontario and Erie and the sink rate doesn't seem that much different on them. Leadcore can last a long time if taken care of but in my case replacements have not been due to line failure but rather to my own failure to keep it from tangling in my other stuff when running too much stuff and then taking some "unintended" turns :lol:

I hear ya there Les, more than once this year I found that less is more or better which ever way is correct?? So you still keep the 5ft per color theory. I really didn't buy it for the extra depth, I bought so that I could get 7-8 colors on with a good amount of backer. I had a bunch of Sealine 47 level winds which worked out great.

I wouldn't worry about braid and cores. They should last you a few seasons depending on how rough you are on your equipment (and that doesn't mean how often you use it necessarily). The mono rods should be swapped out each season. Although, my slide diver rods have had the same 25lb McCoy Mean Green on them for well over 5 years without any incident. Use your judgement. I'd say it's more important to keep the drags backed off your reels and keep them lubed up so they function properly. 

10-4 Yankee 👆👆. Ahh I'm pointing towards your post. Not giving you the finger, enlarge post to see.

Edited by pap

For mono's & co-poly's, run a stretch of it between your thumb and 1st finger.  If you see a trace of white powder...GET RID OF IT!   That's plasticizer that's come out of it and the line is worthless. 

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Jimski2  I used the 18 lb years ago and although the lead diameter appears the same diameter as the 27 lb the sheathing seems more durable on the 27 lb (that is where the strength comes from too) and especially if using for larger fish say on Ontario and Erie and the sink rate doesn't seem that much different on them. Leadcore can last a long time if taken care of but in my case replacements have not been due to line failure but rather to my own failure to keep it from tangling in my other stuff when running too much stuff and then taking some "unintended" turns :lol:

I still use my Cortland 18 # and 27#  leadcore. I have for close to 12 years now  and apart from cutting of a small piece every so often  it works great. As for the lead weight ,18 # has less grains of lead ,but 27 and 36 are the same.

I do mono every year. Keeping it out of the sun when you aren't using them is key too I have found. I am doing a multi season "study" to try to figure out which brand of leadcore last longer. I had several break offs but wasn't paying attention to the brand... So now I am!

The mono on my rods get replaced when they get too low for my liking. It could be 2 years or 5, who knows. I've NEVER had a line break issue. Currently I have 20# McCoy Mean Green on them. Also, they are stored in the shade during the season and all drags are fully backed off in the fall.

silverfoxcharters.net

I wouldn't worry about braid and cores. They should last you a few seasons depending on how rough you are on your equipment (and that doesn't mean how often you use it necessarily). The mono rods should be swapped out each season. Although, my slide diver rods have had the same 25lb McCoy Mean Green on them for well over 5 years without any incident. Use your judgement. I'd say it's more important to keep the drags backed off your reels and keep them lubed up so they function properly.

You just jinxed yourself. Better change that green stuff this winter or you'll be whining after Day 1 of the spring KOTL when that 22 pounder cracks off your slide diver!