2012 Tracker Pro Guide V-175 WT - Cracked Hull

FleetTracker

Tracker has always hull issues. The only way for the thick aluminum welded hulls to properly be welded is from both sides and by a CNC last I knew the Tracker factory didn't use CNC welders. If I had to choose an an aluminum for LO it would be a Hewes or something similar. Obviously, when on a budget like most of us those boats are out of the question. I wouldn't be afraid of a Tracker now that they have the lifetime hull warranty but Like you mentioned Fleet it sucks having to get something like that fixed not knowing when you will get the boat back.

Update Today from the Dealer: Tracker came and picked up my boat from the dealer in Pennsylvania and is trucking it to the factory this week.  I was advised by the dealer that Tracker could take up to 3 weeks upon arrival to determine what they will do; rebuild or replace.  I'm hoping for the latter.  Due to the damage at a critical structural location, I'm quite concerned of latent damage and the integrity of other areas of the structure as a direct result of this issue.  Not to mention the amount of foam that is being removed to be able to address this issue, and the disassembly of the boat to be able to assess the damage.

This fiasco is not something that I want to go through again in a year or two.  We all shall see.  Regardless, I'll need a boat back by mid-March because there is significant re-rigging to do of equipment and I need to be ready to fish in April.  The new boat is also going to go through some upgrades this spring.  Might need to take some time off just to rig the 2 vessels.

Happy New Year everyone!

If you sell it you won't have to worry about the issue... Not sure if that is an option, I don't know if I would be able to trust the boat again. Something I worry about every year more than the motor starting is sinking my investment.

Don't think I would sell the boat. There just isnt anything else in that size range comparable to what the boat offers. Tracker really nailed this boat design for a trolling fisherman and the type of gear required for that type of fishing. For example, Lund just doesn't get it... I don't use 6'6'' poles thus all their rod lockers are useless. Nor do I want a tiny livewell that can't handle 1 King, let alone a limit of walleye. Made for a bass fisherman (no offense)... just haven't found a boat comparable in capability and the capability may not be apparent to most at first glance. I'm very particular and many of the boats out there are not ideally designed to support the fishing I do. Tough to find the right fit and everyone is different and looks for the right setup to suit them. I also like the flexibility of having a larger glass boat for rougher water or more people going out. If I were to choose, I would take the Tracker out every day. It's a fishing machine.

Don't think I would sell the boat. There just isnt anything else in that size range comparable to what the boat offers. Tracker really nailed this boat design for a trolling fisherman and the type of gear required for that type of fishing. For example, Lund just doesn't get it... I don't use 6'6'' poles thus all their rod lockers are useless. Nor do I want a tiny livewell that can't handle 1 King, let alone a limit of walleye. Made for a bass fisherman (no offense)... just haven't found a boat comparable in capability and the capability may not be apparent to most at first glance. I'm very particular and many of the boats out there are not ideally designed to support the fishing I do. Tough to find the right fit and everyone is different and looks for the right setup to suit them. I also like the flexibility of having a larger glass boat for rougher water or more people going out. If I were to choose, I would take the Tracker out every day. It's a fishing machine.

I have to back Fleet up on this one... Spent time in a Lund of the same size and the amount of storage, room, and well of this Tracker far exceed the Lund. I've fished on the Reel Happy and as stated... it's a machine... helps when you set it up like Fleet, but it's seriously no joke.

Hoping for the new hull for you. Take it easy and Happy New Year to ya. 

Tracker,

A lot of us have chosen aluminum boats over the years (mine's a 30 yr old Sea Nymph) because of their versatility and durability. Once outfitted, the last thing a guy wants to do is to have to strip the boat back down for a repair that will leave him worrying about "what's next".

Hope the company treats you right. New aluminum boats are not always chosen because of cost...I've kicked some tires lately and used glass is definitely cheaper. With the number of units they put out they owe it to customers to stand behind their claims.

I bet there would be a large group of LOU supporters willing to stand behind you if a letter writing campaign were to get started.  Get a better picture of those cracks before it goes and let us all re-post them!! Especially a 3 year old boat that isn't trailered....inexcusable.

Prof T

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the optimistic thoughts.

I was just advised that the boat made it to the factory today, and that it has been checked in for "analysis of the problem and best resolution". I'm very anxious to hear the next round of correspondence.

OK - so I called the Tracker Marine Factory for the first time in this entire ordeal in my most understanding and pleasurable attitude possible, despite my situation.  The operator forwarded me to the Warranty Department where I spoke to a Deann, who was very pleasant, and explained that Michelle Bentley is the individual in their department who handles all returned vessels to the factory.  She gave me her direct contact information for all future calls, and forwarded me to Michelle. So far, so good!  Michelle answered and I explained to her that this is my first call to Tracker Marine and that my boat was returned to their factory for a cracked hull recently and I just wanted to touch base with the factory to confirm receipt of the boat, its current status, and to kindly explain the process a bit more so that I could anticipate and expect what to occur over the next several weeks.  Although I said all of this in the most respectable manner in professional English words, her tone eluded to frustration that she was fielding my call in the first place.  Disappointment #1 on Tracker's part!  I understand Michelle's job isn't an easy one, but when you're given an understanding polite person, you do not head down that path!

Michelle explained that she can give no further status then what my dealer gives me, and that by calling her, I will get no further information then what my dealer will give me.  I kindly said OK, and asked if she could give me any current status on the boat?  She replied, "well it only came in last week on the 6th so I doubt anyone looked at it".  I said OK, stayed calm, and then asked if she had a reasonable expectation of how long the backlog was and when Tracker anticipates to take a look at it?  She said, "I have no idea, and that the whole process is running right about 8 weeks".  I then asked, "well if a decision is made that the boat cannot be repaired and must be replaced, is that known much sooner then 8 weeks?"  She said, "it depends, I don't know", and followed up with, "I recommend you work directly with your dealer to understand what the status of your boat is."  I played the nice card today, and told her thank you very much for your help and assistance, have a great rest of your day.

Not impressed AT ALL with that level of customer support, respect, or appreciation.  I do not want to create a wedge this early in the process, and I hope Michelle remembers the kind man she spoke to today the next time we speak.  Wishful thinking, I know... 

Long story short, I know nothing further then what I already knew and that's that the boat is at the factory.  Sounds like they may not have even looked at it yet...

It really is sad that all you are to them is just a number. Michelle being an office person probably doesn't know bow from stern!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Isn't that the American way, got yer money, you had to abuse the unit for it to come apart, we've never saw anything like this, we will get to this next week-week after- we will call the dealer when we come to "our" decision. I feel for ya man, I had a similar ordeal, the motor on my brand new 1995 Skidoo the crankshaft busted right at the clutch I held the clutch in my hands at Slate Rock hotel. The dealer couldn't believe it and the warranty took for ever. So I shelled 7g loaded it on the trailer unloaded at the motel on the same rode that Fat Nancy's on to the right, drove to Slate Rock. Next day got it with the trailer and didn't see it again till the fall season. For your sake I hope you have a better road to travel, good luck Devin I'm pulling for ya!!! OH YEA, there was no reason for the **** on the other to be just that, I bet you had to bite your tongue a few times!!

Personally, I think I'd let Bowers do my talking until there comes a time you aren't satisfied with the outcome. It's the dealers responsibility to be the go between. I know you have to be anxious, but unfortunately this is probably the factory's busiest time of year.Some dealers would leave your boat sitting for a week or more for a service call. So it's not unreasonable for them not to have looked at your boat yet.

Why doesn't that response surprise me. I've been trying to take my pension since mid November, my info has been sitting on a desk since then, called 4 times and left a nice message to see if anyone received my info via email. I finally called head of HR and asked if the woman was still actually employed there ,as I heard nothing up to this point, oh yea, she's still here, transfers me too her extension and she answers, AFTER I called her minutes before that, twice. We are busy she says, I wanted to reach thru the phone and slap her, now I'm looking at March when they told me January, and I had to resubmit my info. Sorry for rant, just seems like the American way anymore. Good luck Fleet,hope it works out for you.

Edited by Roughrider IV

• 2 weeks later...

1/26 Update: Although I have developed some new found patience becoming a dad in 2015, that patience is being heavily tested early on in 2016!  I emailed Bowers last Monday to see if they heard anything from the factory, as it was closely approaching 2 weeks that the boat had been there.  They responded via email and said they've heard nothing but would reach out to them and seek status.  I didn't hear anything further all week so I decided to call Bowers on Friday afternoon around 3PM.  Bowers said they still have not heard back from the factory.  No email or call back, and still no status on my boat.  I expressed my desire for better results than that... Bowers agreed and said they would keep trying and let me know as soon as they hear from them.  I've heard nothing since.  Tomorrow marks exactly 3 weeks that the boat has been at the factory and there's been zero correspondence between the factory and the dealer to date.  I'm not looking forward to the rest of this process given how it's gone so far.  I plan on calling the dealer myself tomorrow.

No - Bowers did not remove the 115HP 4S Merc on the back.  It's on the boat still at the factory.

History of Events:

12/4/15 - Identified problem of hull leak at my home in the driveway by filling boat with water

12/4/15 - called Bowers (dealer where I bought it); they said bring it in

12/5/15 - drove the boat 3hrs south and left it with Bowers

12/9/15 - Bowers calls and confirms significant hull crack; boat must be sent to factory

12/10/15 - I provide complete list of items to remove from my boat prior to shipment to the factory

12/11/15 - Bowers starts to remove items from my boat and keep them in storage

12/14/15 - Bowers completes the removal of all items from my boat; sends pictures of damaged hull and condition of boat with gear removed

12/19/15 - Bowers provides me with warranty return-to-factory paperwork to sign

12/21/15 - I signed and returned all paperwork back to Bowers; inquired on when it would be picked up

12/22/15 - Bowers indicated that no Tracker Factory trucks are scheduled to the North East for rest of year; would be first week in January

1/4/16 - Tracker Factory truck picks up my boat from Bowers and heads to the factory

1/6/16 - Bowers confirms that my boat made it to the factory

1/11/16 - I called the factory; they confirmed my boat was there, and couldn't tell me anything further; told me to talk to my dealer

1/18/16 - I emailed Bowers and asked for a status; they have not heard anything to date but said they would reach out to the factory

1/22/16 - I called Bowers to inquire on status; they still have not heard from the factory despite emails and calls in to them

1/26/16 - I still have no indication that Tracker has done anything yet... no status, no boat, no confidence that this will end well

I sure hope you get some good news soon. I had a new slide in truck camper that was a mess with water leaks and trim coming off. All I got was a bunch of excuses. Rather than send it back and have them repair it, I took it upon myself to fix it. Obviously welding an aluminum hull isn't a do it your self job. I've dealt with Bowers and always had a good experience. I'd almost think that if Bowers thought the factory was going to blow the damage off as owner inflicted, they would have explained that Tracker isn't great on hull warranties to you before shipping it back. The woman you spoke to sounded like a real doozy though. Hopefully when Bowers calls, she will have taken her meds that day!

I called the Factory Thursday and guess who isn't at work this week. Unreal.

I emailed the dealer again earlier this week without response for days. However, the dealer FINALLY wrote me an email Friday saying this and only this: "Your boat is being repaired. They're starting on it today."

Really? No further details? Way to leave me wondering.... I responded with:

"Do you have any further details on the fix?  What is the fix going to be?  How intrusive is it?  Anything getting replaced? How much of the boat is going to get torn apart?  Inside and outside welding?  Are they taking a look at other structural locations to determine yield as a result of this issue so that I don't encounter a repeat problem this year?  Are they beefing up the structural welds anywhere else? How long do they anticipate the fix taking? Can you please provide more information?"

I immediately got a response back saying " You will get a receipt of all work that is completed when it's finished. We are doing boat shows this week so any further responses may be delayed."

I didn't respond... and I hope they don't sell any boats at their boat show. Regardless of a positive outcome on the boat repair, which is absolutely best case, I will never ever again deal with this company or dealer again. And everyone I know and encounter in the future will hear the same.