Lowrance outboard pilot

tyest02

Is anyone running the lowrance outboard pilot for the autopilot on there boat. I have a few question regarding it? Mainly i would like to know if it holds straight at slower speeds lets say 1.5 to 2.0 mph with a decebt chop? Would like to know this from someone thats used it rather than lowrance telling me it should be ok. Should be ok is not the answer im looking for.

I have a 2015 starcraft superfisherman 186 with f150 and 9.9 kicker. It catches wind but its not horrible. I just wanna be able to stay straight heading into a 20mph with 2 to 3 footer with big boards out going around 2mph. I troll for musky faster but want it for when i get a fish to slow down and dont have someone on the wheel at all times. I know the old raymarine s1000 had problems with holding. I know the ev100 is good but like some of he features on the lowrance unit.

Here's a post form GLA that compares the s1000 to the Lowrance, hope it helps

http://www.glanglerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?23208-Autopilot-suggestions

I has a s1000 and it would drop out at slow speeds when it lost it's mind if the GPS didn't send new info soon enough

Not a problem now with my TR-1 because it relies on a heading sensor for info and it's much quicker to react.

There is a limit for every auto pilot when you're trolling slow in windy conditions because at lower rpm's the motor doesn't provide enough thrust to steer against the wind and currents all the time, That's when bags help because you're running higher rpm's to maintain speed plus the stabilizing effect of the bags. 

I appreciate the info. I understand that i wont be in those conditions all the time. I just want it to stay on a decent heading so my boards dont get messed up. From what i a have it seems lile it should. I still may go with the ev100 cause i know it does its job well. But the lowrance has some features i really like

I have the lowrance unit on a 23 foot North Coast   It has run just fine for me  every once on a while  trolling into  the wind and  broadside on bumpy days  you  may have  to  fine tune   it  a degree  or 2. the zig zag patterns  it does I think  got me  quite a few fish and being able to set a course  with  your finger on the touch  screen  is great. For me well worth it so far  We have had more  probems with  a 4000.00  unit  on the tuna boat

I really have not used that much but plan to this spring  I have  mostly 2 f  us on the boat now  we get set up in half the time ,someone  always there for the net, and both of us can sit out back on the deck  waiting  for a release  I only  has one little problem when I was commissioning the unit   called  and they  walked me right through it,I waited a long time for it  it was on back order  for  months.