Red lake crappy

pete rajner

Fished Saturday from 9-1. Kept a limit for my son and myself. All fish that we took home were 12 inches or bigger. Half dozen were over 15. Back Sunday,fish still there. Just went to use up minnows, but my brother said he wanted some fillets so we kept 34 bigger ones. Let my two boys and his stepson do the catching. Only out there around an hour and half. I'm guessing over 200 for both days. Total of 5-1/2 hours is some good action for the kids they had a ball

pete...Now, that's the way to take the guys fishing!  When my sons were young, my rod stayed home & I let them do the "work."  The way I kept them fishing was to let them invite their friends, relatives or whoever.  And now, they still fish 25 years later.  Keep up the good work.

Cool to hear about the Indian River lakes. I have a cottage on Hyde Lake, used to be loaded with Crappie but the numbers have dropped dramatically in the last 8-10 years.

Edited by JakeyBaby

I personally saw several different guys with crappie that size this spring from Otisco...we dont get em near that size from the dock though.  Anybody ever troll for em with long rods out in front of the boat like you  see on tv.  I  have all the stuff just havent gotten around to it, but think i will this year.  

Pete,

You better be fishing while you are in  the keys!  

I'll be fishing for sure. Can't decide between trying flats fishing or going deep agian. Last time in the early 90s I went deep but the charter boat started sinking. Got a free ride on a coast guard boat. That boat would realy fly on the water. Not sure how to get fish home, so maybe some tarpon or shark or sailfish. Maybe just do all of it. Don't have to pick one that way