Monster found dead

WOW, if at all possible were you able to tell if it was shot, or any roads close by? Or maybe it's a victim of those other posts that stated they died from a disease. Either way it would make a hell of a nice Europen mount!! If it was shot someone is sick all over again, first shooting it and either thinking he/she missed, or looked and was not able to find it and now this buck is all over the Internet! If I would have shot such a monter I would have got in touch with someone who had dogs to track it, in my case I now a few guys that have coyote dogs. Hopefully this isn't a hunters bad judgement or if it doesn't fall in it tracks it's considered a miss!!! 👣👣

My brother pulled one out of the woods like that once way back when.  Taxidermist was hunting with us that day and traded him a new bow for the rack.  Funny thing was my brother grabbed it just to show everybody.  Mature racks can have value - don't discard.  It means nothing to you because you want to obtain your trophies, but people who have a lot of money and do not hunt would buy it for some decoration in the "den", restaurant, or club.  As for the how to convert it to $$.  Not sure.

Just curious, is it legal to keep the rack? Pretty sure in PA, the Game Comm will take it from you. You could pick up road kills, but had to turn the rack in. That was years ago, don't know if things changed or not.

Just curious about PA. Can you inherit buck skulls that don't have tags? Or does the game commission take them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's pretty much a grey area, if it's a mount that was handed down, I don't think it would matter as they have more important things to do, I have my brothers mount and mine neither have tags on them now, they did at one time. I always leave a tag or two from the the year in the freezer that way if they find reason to dig around in my freezer the tags are there. I'm not 100% on the laws on a find in the woods so to speak. Depends on the taxidermist also, a lot won't do the work unless there's a tag.

I understand that the tag should always stay with the meat of the deer.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Tag number with the meat and tag with the horns I was always told? Still a nice buck!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Edited by Giz9219

DEC officer said it was ok to take because it was obviously dead for a while . He got pulled over by a cop on the way to my house because the cop wanted to see it . Can't pick up deer with meat and hide on them but bone ok I guess . The dec officer said it would be a shame to leave it in the woods . Once in a lifetime buck

Yea that guy was nice about it!! He could of told you anything, and kept the horns. Pretty cool the cop pulled him over just to see the horns, this must be a slammer of a buck. Congrats on the find and the ability to keep them!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...