Daiwa Saltist ?

The one I bought used with upgraded drag. The second I did because I got the kit for Christmas last year. The stock drag preformed perfect for one season. But I have heard that people have run into issues with the stock drag. I imagine that the saltist would work excellent. But I have never used one so I am not sure.

My Tekotas have been excellent. My Saltists have been excellent. The only reason I prefer the tekotas for wire is the lower gear ratio for bringing in those big wire kings, perhaps a little more gentle with the slower uptake. The line counters on the saltist do jab into the forearm more than other reels. Both quality made.

Saltist 30's, have been running them for 4 years now, incredible drags right out of the box!!! Clients love the faster retrieve, as does whom ever is running the back of the boat when changing out presentations!! 1000' of wire fits perfectly!!! Good Luck

Capt Rich

I have been using the saltist a for 5 years now and they are the best diver reel out there IMO. The Tekotas are nice but the drags do not adjust and good as the Saltist. One click on the Tekota was too much or too little. The high speed retrieve is awesome when you have to rip in a diver to reset it.

Saltist 30 like everyone has mentioned. If you've never used a reel with high speed you'd never miss it, but when I pick up a buddy's Tekota the retrieve rate it's annoying. There is no such thing as too fast for a retrieve rate. When you have rookies on the rod and they are dropping it before beginning to reel the faster retrieve rate helps pick up that slack. I've run my Saltist for 6/7 seasons and not 1 has ever gone down on me. Drags are still super smooth OUT OF THE BOX. Wouldn't trade them for anything else at this point.

I love the high speed retrieves and anyone that's been aboard my boat feels the same about the saltists.  Agree 100% with Rick, not sure there's a negative to fast retrieve, especially in the spring when the kings charge the boat...many days I can't reel fast enough even with the high speed.  Personal preference I guess.

Check the bargain cave at cabelas and watch ebay.  I've managed to pick all of my saltists up for less than $130 apiece brand new.  Be patient and you will find them reasonable

I run Qty. 4 of the 40 series Saltists with wire... even faster retrieve than the 30's.  I found the 30's to be a bit small when paired with 10'6" and 10' Med Okuma rods.  The 40's are paired a bit better with that combo in my opinion.  I spooled ~150' of 30lb Mono on first, then the 1000' of Wire to ensure the spool was at max capacity and operating at maximum retrieve per crank.  It's so awesome being able to crank those bad boys in so quickly, especially when you make the decision to clear some rods for an apesh*t King on another line.

I run the 30's on all my salmon rigger rods.  I run 30's and 40's on my short cores.  I have a 50 for a short copper, and a 50 and 60 Seagate for longer Coppers.  Cannot beat the Daiwa Drags!

post-151421-0-97473600-1450967814_thumb.png

Edited by FleetTracker

Gator posted about a guy on ebay a couple years back had the 40.s for 125, looking back that was 2011.  Picked the 30/s up 2 years ago off another ebay guy for around the same price.  Got one from wheeling cabelas last saturday for 124.95, damaged box but the reel is spotless/new.  be patient, you have a while til spring.  You can get them anytime for around 170, but they do pop up now and again cheap.  Maybe make the trip to the lotsa show in January, might find a good deal on them there.

As said before, once you use the Saltist, its going to wreck you. The drags are big, and last, the gear ratio is great. I totally agree you cant have to fast of ratio. I can't imagine how it can be a detriment to just crank slower if you want, but when pulling in a trip dipsy you love it.

• 2 weeks later...