Eskimo salmon candy

skipper19

Gonna make some this coming week ready for holidays and playoff time snacks!

Hi mountain seasonings has a brine that I used for a base called Alaska salmon brine. Package has a bear pictured on it. Cabela's has it and other places.

Mix the brine with cold water like the directions say.

Add a cup of brown sugar to it.

Add a 1/2 cup of maple syrup.

Stir it up real good so the sugar disolves.

Slice the meat into pieces about 6 inches square and place it in the fridge over nite.

Take the fish out of the brine. Do not rinse off just pat it with paper towel to dry a little. Then air dry the fish for a couple hours until it gets that sheen of a pellicle on it.

Smoke with alder and apple mix at about 180 to 200 degrees.

Important; baste the meat with warm maple syrup AND honey 50/50 mixture about 2 hours into the smoke and once again about 1 hour into the smoke. After four hours reduce the smoke and then just use heat for drying to desired level. I test internal temp of meat for 135 to 145 degrees. Too much more and you get salmon jerky. Slow smoke temp, even 165 is ok. Just longer but don't do more than 4 hours smoke. Finish with heat. Electric smokers are good for this, or if you have a wood fire smoker finish in an oven on bake low low heat 165 to 200.

I like to take my salmon off when it gets that translucent look to it. You can look at it and see light glowing in the meat appearance. The meat will flake apart like potato chips when done, but not crispy!..just a nice pliable flake of salmon goodness. Hold it up to light and see the glow in it and it is done.

Eat a piece and you will not stop.

Just like Lay's...you can't eat just one!

Mark

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I make a similar candy, but make my own brine and it is more involved than yours. It's definitely worth the effort, that's for sure! Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to try that this summer. Gives me another reason to run to Cabelas, lol.

Edited by Tyee II

I make a similar candy, but make my own brine and it is more involved than yours. It's definitely worth the effort, that's for sure! Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to try that this summer. Gives me another reason to run to Cabelas, lol.

Yeah I used to make up brine and one day, I was a bit rushed and didn't have some of the ingredients, so had this brine mix sitting there and seems easy so I did it this way. I just added the brown sugar and maple syrup to it so it was quick. I didn't know how it would come out, but it was surprisingly excellent! I had used the brine from the box before and it seemed to lack good flavor of maple that it said it had in it. So this was a good boost for it. It's quick and easy to put together. I hope it works for your fish. Let me know if it came out ok, or if you think it could use something. Like I say, it was a surprise and could even be improved on I suppose, but I liked it very much.

I love food from the flue!..BBQ! and smoke!

Good luck with it!