Found some Rot on boat

tpsball

Hello, while winterizing my 91 Penn Yan 245 Contender I noticed the shelf where the battery sits on port side was rotten and the top half of the Vertical wooden support as well. Bad design by Penn Yan, draining the storage compartments directly on to that support shelf. Anyway, I need that fixed and am now paranoid about any other Structural damages. Anybody have any ideas on who does this kind of work around Oswego area? Thanks in advance.

Have the same boat, a 1990. Both starboard and port locations are solid. I replaced all 3 new batteries with new battery holders installed onto those shelves. Don't know why yours wouldn't be solid either. The storage compartments only have a centrally located drain hole which should go directly into the bilge area. Did someone modify your storage compartments and drill more holes?

Look the boat over closely, tap on stringers and transom with a small hammer, pray you don't hear dull hollow thuds. Ended up replacing transom and repairing three stringers in my 18'. Had so much fun repairing that one I bought a 21' last year which had a little rot on one battery tray and water had discolored the divider / stiffener between engine compartment and fuel tank. I replaced that piece, ground the decay from the battery tray and reinforced it with cloth and West systems epoxy. On the two I worked on Penn Yan embeds a piece of wood in the floor on engine side of divider (to mount bilge pump to) which acts as a dam holding water ahead of it and poor sealing of the bottom of the divider allows water to wick into the wood. I spent extra time making sure I got all the drain passages sealed up. If you are patient and a little handy you can do it yourself.

Bob

And I can vouch for the fact that Bob did an incredible job on it and that boat now looks, acts and feels almost brand new....well worth the effort Bob put into it. :)  Hopefully some day he will recover his  brain functioning from breathing all the epoxy fumes from the other boat :lol: