Seneca perch

Well I started out on seneca yesterday morning Don at peach orchard point and fish till 11 and managed to catch two whole perch. And then I scooted over to Skaneateles and was there about two and a half hours and caught 39 perch. And the saga continues heartbreak lake lol

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk

Two things come to mind. First stop letting fish be sold to anyone.That is not sport fishing.But nothing more than commercial fishing with a sportmans license. Have a limit on perch like you do on other fish. Second make it illegal to leave fish on the ice. It makes me sick to see hundreds of fish dead on the ice. Fisherman have to wake up and put pressure the dec to help past laws.

Two things come to mind. First stop letting fish be sold to anyone.That is not sport fishing.But nothing more than commercial fishing with a sportmans license. Have a limit on perch like you do on other fish. Second make it illegal to leave fish on the ice. It makes me sick to see hundreds of fish dead on the ice. Fisherman have to wake up and put pressure the dec to help past laws.

How does the selling work? Do the buyer have rules to follow ?

Already have a limit on them..... 50 state wide...

FROM YOUR POST I GATHERED A LOT OF OPINIONS........BUT VERY FEW FACTS. PERCH ARE A RENEWABLE RESOURCE. ONCE A PERSON CATCHES A PERCH, ,OR OTHER NON GAME FISH IT SHOULD BE THEIRS TO DO WITH AS THEY WISH. SOME PEOPLE DON''T FISH , YET THEY STILL ENJOY EATING THEM. WHERE DO YOU THINK THE PERCH FOR SALE IN MARKETS COME FROM? THEY ARE CAUGHT AND SOLD. I ALSO HAVE FISHED SENECA AND ALL OF THE FINGER LAKES FOR MORE THAN 50 YEARS. THERE ISN'T A SHORTAGE OF PERCH, BUT THEIR IS A SHORTAGE OF GOOD PERCH FISHERMAN. YOU CAN NOT EMPLOY THE SAME TECHNIQUES THAT YOU USED 25 YEARS AGO AND EXPECT THEM TO BE  SUCCESSFUL TODAY. USE LIGHTER LINE FLORO CARBON AND FISH DEEPER. 30 - 60 FOOT.  THE LAKES HAVE CHANGED DUE TO ZEBRA MUZZLES AND OTHER ISSUES. I REMEMBER COUNTING 137 BOATS IN DRESDEN BAY ONE SATURDAY MORNING DURING THE 70'S. YOU COULD NOT SEE BOTTOM IN 12 FOOT OF WATER AND THE FISH SPAWNED SHALLOW. NOW THEY DON'T. THEY SPAWN IN MUCH DEEPER WATER ADJUST YOUR TECHNIQUES.

PERHAPS WE SHOULD ALSO BAN THE SALE OF WORMS AND MINNOWS AS WELL, AS THIS ALSO DEPLETES OUR RESOURCE.

I guess from your screen name some assumptions can be made regarding the origin of your opinion. Perch can be a renewable resource if they have good spawning areas from which to procreate and if there aren't overwhelming pressures coming to bear on them all at once from degradation of their environment and feed, the covering of spawning areas with zebra and quagga shells and living organisms, technological advancements like the use of cameras to locate the spawners, the over harvesting of gravid (egg laden) female perch, the taking of far too many perch and undersized perch,  and the return day after day to the same tightly contained areas by multitudes of fishermen all year long and especially during spawning. Although they may be a "renewable resource" they have to be able to have the time to reproduce at least at some part of the year and in some part of their normal habitat and they do take time to grow by the way. It takes a long time for year classes to recover from all these pressures as well as possible hemmoraghic virus and bacterial infections that can further decimate their numbers quickly in mass die offs that have occurred from time to time over the last few years. Also the Quagga mussels are deep water dwelling so the answer to perch spawning isn't by going deeper as there may be some evidence to suggest that they are out competing the zebras now and are a strong population.  I have fished some favorite spots over the years since the late 60's that are in 60 ft of water and they too are devoid of perch and covered in mussel shells. There are still perch in the lake but if things don't change they won't be there in the future. You'd have to be blinded by greed not to see that this is happening. It is not simply a function of people not knowing how to fish for the perch or not using light fluoro line or the right setups and this simple minded thinking is part of the problem.

Amen! 

It's just wrong mindedness to think that we can't affect perch populations and they'll always be there. Didn't we learn anything from passenger pigeons or buffalo? We are custodians of the resource. It's only renewable so long as we are mindful that it's not infinite.

Edited by Gator

BLINDED BY GREED???????? WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I SELL FISH?  JUST ANOTHER  SHORT SIGHTED ASSUMPTION ON YOUR PART.  AS I STATED NOT EVERY ONE CAN FISH FOR PERCH YET THEY STILL ENJOY EATING THEM. HOW ELSE CAN THE  EAT FISH IF NO ONE SELLS  TO THE  PUBLIC?

MY NICK NAME COMES FROM THE FACT I ACTUALLY WORKED FOR A LIVING AND CUT MEAT FOR MANY YEARS.  YOUR SLAM OF IT IS JUST ANOTHER SHORT SIGHTED ASSUMPTION ON YOUR PART. YOUR RESPONSE TELLS ME THAT IF SOMEONE DISAGREES WITH YOUR OPINIONS, YOU MUST RESORT TO DEROGATORY COMMENTS.  THANK YOU.

SENECA LAKE HAS  MILES OF AND MILES OF SPAWNING SHORELINE.  THE  OVER FISHING YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT IS A TWO HUNDRED YARD STRETCH AROUND SAMPSON. MOVE, FIND YOUR OWN SPOTS AND DON'T FOLLOW THE FLEET.

SINCE THE TROUT AND SALMON STOCKING IN LAKE ONTARIO THE PERCH FISHING HAS EXPLODED.  WHY???? THERE IS NO LIMIT ON PERCH IN THE 1000 ISLANDS, THERE ARE STILL SOME (THOUGH VERY FEW) COMMERCIAL NETTING OPERATIONS STILL LICENSED BY THE NY STATE AND CANADA ON LAKE ONTARIO. TALK ABOUT PRESSURE, LOOK AT THE VAST NUMBERS OF PANFISH FISHERMAN ON EVERY BAY, EVERYDAY OF THE WEEK. NOT JUST SPRINGTIME IN A 200 YARD STRETCH AS ON SENECA. LAKE ONTARIO EXPERIENCES THE SAME AQUATIC ISSUES, VIRUSES, AND  CYCLES AS SENECA. WHY NO ISSUES THERE???

BY THE WAY PERCH LOVE TO EAT THE "AQUATIC" INFESTATIONS. THE ONES I CATCH, AND BY THE WAY ACTUALLY KILL TO EAT, ARE FULL OF THEM. THE 38 PERCH I KEPT YESTERDAY WERE FULL OF SOFT AQUATIC SHELLS......   BY THE WAY THE FILLETS WERE QUITE TASTY.  OH BY THE WA,Y I DID NOT NEED A CAMERA TO FIND THE PERCH. I HAD TO ACTUALLY WORK FOR THEM. YOU KNOW I DIDN'T SEE YOU OUT THERE, OR ANYONE ELSE FOR THAT MATTER.

PERHAPS YOU SHOULD HAVE SEAGERS CANCEL THE PERCH TOURNAMENT ON APRIL 2,ND. WE DON'T WANT TO DESTROY YOUR "HOME" PORT'S PERCH RESOURCE DO WE?

I GUESS WE WILL AGREE TO DISAGREE, BUT IF YOU CAN'T CATCH FISH DON''T  BLAME THE RESOURCE, LOOK IN THE MIRROR. THE RESOURCE IS STRONG.

Edited by MEATMAN

SORRY, YOUR WAY OFF BASE. THE SOUTH SHORE OF LAKE ONTARIO IS WAAAAAAY OFF ON THE NUMBERS BEING CAUGHT AND I DO FISH WOTH SOME OF THE BEST PERCH FISHERMEN IN THE AREA. NUMBERS ARE DOWN AND THATS A FACT JACK!

FROM YOUR POST I GATHERED A LOT OF OPINIONS........BUT VERY FEW FACTS. PERCH ARE A RENEWABLE RESOURCE. ONCE A PERSON CATCHES A PERCH, ,OR OTHER NON GAME FISH IT SHOULD BE THEIRS TO DO WITH AS THEY WISH. SOME PEOPLE DON''T FISH , YET THEY STILL ENJOY EATING THEM. WHERE DO YOU THINK THE PERCH FOR SALE IN MARKETS COME FROM? THEY ARE CAUGHT AND SOLD. I ALSO HAVE FISHED SENECA AND ALL OF THE FINGER LAKES FOR MORE THAN 50 YEARS. THERE ISN'T A SHORTAGE OF PERCH, BUT THEIR IS A SHORTAGE OF GOOD PERCH FISHERMAN. YOU CAN NOT EMPLOY THE SAME TECHNIQUES THAT YOU USED 25 YEARS AGO AND EXPECT THEM TO BE  SUCCESSFUL TODAY. USE LIGHTER LINE FLORO CARBON AND FISH DEEPER. 30 - 60 FOOT.  THE LAKES HAVE CHANGED DUE TO ZEBRA MUZZLES AND OTHER ISSUES. I REMEMBER COUNTING 137 BOATS IN DRESDEN BAY ONE SATURDAY MORNING DURING THE 70'S. YOU COULD NOT SEE BOTTOM IN 12 FOOT OF WATER AND THE FISH SPAWNED SHALLOW. NOW THEY DON'T. THEY SPAWN IN MUCH DEEPER WATER ADJUST YOUR TECHNIQUES.

PERHAPS WE SHOULD ALSO BAN THE SALE OF WORMS AND MINNOWS AS WELL, AS THIS ALSO DEPLETES OUR RESOURCE.

Meatman,

I could go on and on about your post but I wont because you are so off base it's ridiculous.. I disagree with your post 110%. Such a selfish attitude. I hope they reduce the limit to 25.

FISHING WAS BETTER 30 YEARS AGO.........REMINDS ME OF THE OLD SAYING "THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS"........ I HAVE A SIGN IN MY BOAT....... "SHUT UP AND FISH"

SINCE THE PERCH FISHING IS SOOOOOOO BAD. HERE IS AN IDEA. THE LICENSE SALES OF PANFISH FISHERMAN FAR EXCEEDS THE NUMBER OF LAKE ONTARIO AND FINGER LAKES TROUT AND SALMON PROS (A PRO IS JUST A $20.00 FEE ON THIS FORUM) PERHAPS THE PANFISH FISHERMAN SHOULD LOBBY THE STATE LEGISLATION AND DEC TO END TROUT AND SALMON STOCKING AND JUST STOCK PERCH! OOPS, SILLY ME, THAT WOULD CUT INTO THE PROS PROFIT MARGIN AND WOULD BE GREEDY ON THE PART OF THE PANFISH FISHERMAN. BOY IS THAT IDEA "WRONG MINDEDNESS" (WHAT EVER THAT IS)

I know fisherman are to blame is a main argument and I'm not encouraging or denying. But, with the news all about how the wineries want to save the flx, with main argument being anti-LPG.

Ever thought of the run off these wineries create? Maybe how their treatments may be killing off our beloved weed beds?

Just opening the spectrum.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Meatman- First of all I'd like to clear up a few things. I didn't make any derogatory comments about anyone. I said that that type of thinking is simple minded NOT that you or anyone else is simple minded because I don't have the direct observation facts regarding that.  In using the term "blinded by greed" it does not necessarily refer to selling fish. Greed also comes from the over harvesting of perch whether sold or directly consumed by the person doing it. I guess I was a little put off by your arrogant statement that others (including me) don't know how to fish for perch or where to fish for them and that you are somehow the solitary holder of this "knowledge". Darkwater - the use of gold plated #4-8 Aberdeen fine wire hooks is not something new.... I've used them for well over 50 years for the very reason you mentioned.

One of the things that should be clear from the many postings on here regarding this situation is that it is not a situation where one solitary factor is to blame for the actual threat or existing problem to the survival of the perch population or that the threat is limited to the one species. There are many things going on in these lakes right now and they appear to be converging or concentrating in various places at different rates, and at different times of the year (algae blooms, acidification from zebras and quaggas, siltation from flooding, toxic run-off from farms, lawns and wineries along the shores, degradation of the weed beds and spawning sites, decreases in the available zooplankton because of the mussels etc.) and when combined with problematic fishing practices it presents  a threat to the resource for future generations of fishermen or consumers.

Edited by Sk8man