Seneca perch

A whole lot of information being thrown around on this thread. What concerns me is that everyone has their own idea that they seem to have accepted as fact without proof, and I'm not talking about anecdotal information like me and my friends aren't catching as many or look at all the wineries spraying pesticides. It would be more productive to keep an open mind and search for any possible impacts. Our local lakes are always changing but it seems like there is this fear in recent years that water quality is terrible just because of a few algae blooms or small fish kills (both of which have been happening naturally for thousands of years). Just do some research on the types of farming practices and the types of pesticides used 30+ years ago and you will realize that we have made progress as far as that goes. Keep in mind that yellow perch are abundant in some very polluted lakes like Onondaga and Neatahwanta. The perch population has certainly changed. They are found in different depths during different times of the year and people seem to have all sorts of new techniques for catching them. Maybe there is another change going on and they are changing their behavior but I'm not convinced that the population has crashed. I still here from a lot of anglers who do quite well on Seneca so who knows.  I know people don't want to wait around for a study but actually having someone sample the lake to try to figure out where we stand would at least answer a few questions.

FISHING WAS BETTER 30 YEARS AGO.........REMINDS ME OF THE OLD SAYING "THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS"........ I HAVE A SIGN IN MY BOAT....... "SHUT UP AND FISH"

SINCE THE PERCH FISHING IS SOOOOOOO BAD. HERE IS AN IDEA. THE LICENSE SALES OF PANFISH FISHERMAN FAR EXCEEDS THE NUMBER OF LAKE ONTARIO AND FINGER LAKES TROUT AND SALMON PROS (A PRO IS JUST A $20.00 FEE ON THIS FORUM) PERHAPS THE PANFISH FISHERMAN SHOULD LOBBY THE STATE LEGISLATION AND DEC TO END TROUT AND SALMON STOCKING AND JUST STOCK PERCH! OOPS, SILLY ME, THAT WOULD CUT INTO THE PROS PROFIT MARGIN AND WOULD BE GREEDY ON THE PART OF THE PANFISH FISHERMAN. BOY IS THAT IDEA "WRONG MINDEDNESS" (WHAT EVER THAT IS)

Ending trout and salmon stocking would be detrimental to the perch population.  Without alewive control, the perch population would plummet.  When perch fry hatches, adult alewives are prespawn and feed on newly hatched perch fry.  Therefore, if the salmon and trout do not eat alewives and they over populate, the perch population would decline. 

I been wanting to type what sk8 said for a long time... I couple times I did and deleted because I think people don't understand it's not just one thing contributing to change in the lake it's many... I don't believe fisherman were a cause of change, maybe some due to lots of 2 cycle in the lake, but ALL the factors put together can and most likely end poorly...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS JERKTROLLER. I AGREE. MY  POINT IS THAT CONDITIONS CHANGE AND WE NEED TO ADJUST. SOME PEOPLE DON'T AND BLAME CONDITIONS FOR THEIR LACK OF SUCCESS.

(BY THE WAY MY CAP LOCKS ARE ON BECAUSE MY COMPUTER IS OLD, LIKE ME, AND DOES NOT HAVE ALL OF THE FUNCTIONS IT SHOULD HAVE)  SORRY TO THE LITERARY POLICE OUT THERE

MY MAJOR POINT IS WHEN FISH ARE HARVESTED WITHIN CURRENT LAWS, THEY BECOME THE PROPERTY OF THAT PERSON AND THAT PERSON  SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO WITH THEM AS THEY WISH.  PERIOD.

REGARDING THE STATEMENTS OF SMALL FISH BEING LEFT ON THE ICE TO ROT, SADLY, THIS IS A SOMETIMES A TRUE STATEMENT, HOWEVER IT IS AGAINST THE LAW. ANY FISH KILLED, KEPT OR NOT, IS TO BE COUNTED AGAINST ONES DAILY LIMIT. I READ WHERE SOME ON THIS FORUM HAVE SEEN THIS......WHY DIDN'T THEY REPORT IT?  SOME ALSO STATE THEY SEE PEOPLE KEEPING SMALL FISH, SO WHAT. WHEN I WANT BEEF I DON'T WANT THE OLDEST BULL IN THE HERD, I WANT THE YOUNGER TENDER ONES. PERSONALLY, I WON'T KEEP THE 2 LB FEMALE PERCH, I  PUT THEM BACK TO REPRODUCE. BUT AGAIN THAT IS, MY CHOICE AND I DON'T TRY TO IMPOSE MY WILL UPON OTHERS. ALSO I DON'T HAVE A LARGE ENOUGH EGO TO TAKE A MESS OF PHOTOS OF THEM AND POST THE PICS ON THE INTERNET. LOOK AT ME! AREN'T I WONDERFUL!

WITH THAT SAID, I BELIEVE THAT WITH THE MAJORITY OF REVENUE COMING FROM THE PANFISH FISHERMAN LICENSES TO THE DEC AND THIS CONCERN ABOUT PERCH POPULATIONS, ALBEIT UNFOUNDED, WE SHOULD STOP STOCKING TROUT AND SALMON. PUT THE REVENUES INTO STOCKING PERCH!

STOPPING THE TROUT/SALMON STOCKING WOULD NOT HARM THE PERCH POPULATION. THE PERCH FISHERY WAS JUST FINE BEFORE THESE PROGRAMS WERE STARTED. I KNOW, I WAS OUT THERE WAY BACK THEN. BELIEVE IT OR NOT I WAS A CHARTER MEMBER OF THE ORIGINAL ROCHESTER TROUT AND SALMON ANGLERS AND WAS ONE OF THE FEW, THAT TRIED TO INCORPORATE THE FINGER LAKES INTO THESE PROGRAMS BUT WAS OUT VOTED BY THE MONEY MACHINE INTERESTS.

PERHAPS THE GREEDY CHARTER BOAT FISHERMAN WOULD DISAGREE. BUT I GUESS

IT IS OK FOR THEM TO CHARGE $$$ TO FISH, BUT NOT FOR SOME POOR SLOB WHO CAN'T AFFORD A $30,000 BOAT,TO SELL THEIR LEGALLY OBTAINED CATCH AND LET SOMEONE WHO CAN NOT CATCH THEM ENJOY THEM.

HEY PORCUPINE THE FOLLOWING IS A COPY/PASTE OF YOUR NOT SO DEROGATORY STATEMENT REGARDING MY "SCREEN NAME"

I guess from your screen name some assumptions can be made regarding the origin of your opinion.

BY THE WAY I STOPPED USING GOLD MUSTAD XTRA FINE WIRE HOOKS ABOUT 30 YEARS AGO AS THEY WERE OUTDATED THEN, AND STILL ARE. FISH SMARTER, NOT  HARDER.

Edited by MEATMAN

This is not the thread about selling perch it the one about us poor slobs who can't catch any.I happy you still getting them good for you seriously.may I ask what lake you are doing so well on?Also must of the captain's do more to protect our fisher then most and all the people the take out the have to buy a license dont tell most of the revenue comes from pan fishermen

Does the state preform lake surveys? I'm on the ny/pa border and our lakes our surveyed every few years. Either by the fish commission or biology students from mansfield university. I realise the finger lakes are HUGE compared to any of our waters but u could think they could atleast do sections. This will all be argued forever until there is any real proof of the real priblems. Cycles, invasives, pollution or combo of all including over fishing. Its like argueing polotics when none of us no what is really going on.

This is one situation where I would be very happy (understatement) and relieved to be dead wrong or inaccurate with regard to one or all of the concerns I have mentioned in my previous posts here but I do not believe that this is the case. I have a very healthy respect for data collection, application of the scientific method, the use of statistical analyses to interpret responsibly collected data and solid informed interpretation of the results.....I have spent a good part of my life doing this. The unfortunate thing here in this situation is that experimental research is much more complicated in a natural setting (vs. laboratory) because the necessary controls are either confounded or unable to be achieved because of the complex nature of the environmental habitat as well as the extreme complexity of the combined influences making it difficult if not impossible to separate out one variable at a time. Studies such as those being called for here take a great deal of time  and resources and for the most part have to be completed over relatively large spans of time to be able to be able to make good sense of the data and interactions between things.  It all sounds great to say "Have someone do a study to find out exactly what is going on here" but the reality of that happening is quite something else. It would have to be a coordinated effort between many agencies, universities and experts to do it competently. That brings us to the reporting of "anecdotal" information and opinions based on informal observations and their potential role in heading off impending problems. Basically we may not have the "luxury" of waiting until all the canaries are dead in the coal mine before getting things out on the table to look at in terms of what things we might be able to do to intervene. I'm not trying to convince the folks who think that what I have offered here is total BS and crap and they are welcome to their own opinions about this situation, but I would say I hope you're right and there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about; especially as it relates to the kids coming up who might want to catch  some fish.

Edited by Sk8man

Funny, I was just helping open the spectrum in defense of the fishery and maybe a reason as to what else contributed to the declining numbers of perch. I can see how it's the charter captains faults though for the decline in perch....

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I grew up fishing Seneca , 80% of the time trout but some perch here and there not really my thing. It seems from what Ive seen its def in a down cycle IMHO.  My dad has been nagging me to go out perch fishing with him. Prob will a few times . Maybe I should hook him up with you during the week Les  :lol:

I HAVE KEPT A PERSONAL LOG OF EACH AND EVERY DAY I HAVE SPENT FISHING, HUNTING, AND TRAPPING  SINCE I WAS 13 YEARS OLD. I AM NOW 63 AND HOPE TO PASS THESE ALONG TO CHILDREN AND GRAND CHILDREN WHEN I PASS.

YOU CAN LEARN A LOT ABOUT THE GOOD OLD DAYS AND IMPROVE YOUR CURRENT DAYS AFIELD BY LOOKING BACK AT DATA. AS I GET OLDER I HAVE LEARNED NOT TO TRUST MY MEMORY OR THE MEMORY OF OTHERS....THE LOG/JOURNAL TAKES ABOUT 5 MINUTES TO COMPILE AT THE END OF THE DAY. BAITS USED, LOCATION, DEPTH, WATER AND AIR TEMP, WATER CLARITY, WIND SPEED DIRECTION, CATCH RATE ETC. AND IS VERY USEFUL IN IDENTIFYING PATTERNS, CHANGING CONDITIONS, AND OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST. AFTER A FEW TIMES OF ENTERING  THIS  DATA, YOU CAN EASILY CREATE A BLANK SHEET OF WHAT YOU FEEL IS IMPORTANT AND THEN FILL IN THE BLANKS ALONG WITH A COMMENTS SECTION. IT REALLY IS FUN TO LOOK BACK AND SEE WHAT YOU DID AND HOW IT REALLY WAS,,,...

YEP THIS IS ONLY ONE PERSONS DATA  (I GUESS) BUT IT IS MINE AND THEREFORE I PUT MORE STOCK INTO IT THEN THOSE PROVIDED BY AGENCIES AND OTHERS   MEMORIES OR THEIR EXPERIENCES WITH DIFFERENT (AND PROBABLY BETTER) EQUIPMENT.

JUST ASK THE DEC EXPERTS (WHO RARELY LEAVE THE OFFICE) HOW MANY DEER ARE AROUND.

WELL ENOUGH OF THIS ARMCHAIR FISHING, I AM GOING FOR REAL CRAPPIE FISHING BEFORE THEY ARE EXTINCT, HEY DID YOU KNOW SENECA HAS SOME SLOB CRAPPIES IN IT? WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU GOT A 25 FISH LIMIT THERE?  FOR ME IT WAS APRIL 17TH 2015 ON AN OVERCAST AFTERNOON USING FAT HEADS, SUSPENDED IN 39 DEGREE WATER. WHERE??? YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND OUT YOURSELF, AS I FORGOT................................

Edited by MEATMAN

I agree with the journal. We keep a dec angler diary  for trout on Seneca and Canandaigua lake. Always enter water temp, depth and speed in the comment sec. Always good to refer back to for years to come

Edited by blueghost1

This thread is starting to remind me of the time I was painting the house and I accidentally stepped on a hornets nest and they went up my pantleg :lol:

DARKWATER - NO THAT WAS NOT ME IN THE BLACK LUND. I 'M THE GUY THAT TELLS EVERYONE WHO ASKS ME AT THE DOCK, " NOPE, NEVER CAUGHT A THING ALL DAY AND NEVER EVEN HAD A BITE" HOWEVER, I REALLY DO ENJOY LISTENING TO, AND READING ABOUT, THEIR EXTRAORDINARY FISHING FEATS AND OTHER BS.

I GUESS I AM JUST AN OLD SCHOOL DINOSAUR.........I JUST WANT TO BE LEFT ALONE AND DO NOT LIKE OTHERS IMPOSING THEIR WILL OR OPINIONS ON ME AS IF IT WERE FACT AND THEN ANOTHER  STUPID LAW  IS PASSED..........OUR GOVERNMENTS, LOCAL, STATE, AND FEDERAL ARE FULL OF THESE POMPUS, EDUCATED IDIOTS. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE SAYS OR  FEELS.........SOMETHING,  DOESN'T MAKE IT REALLY TRUE. AS YOU MAY HAVE GUESSED I AM NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT.

HOWEVER, SINCE THE PERCH POPULATION "OBVIOUSLY" HAS BEEN DECIMATED BY THE GREEDY, SLOB,  FISH EATERS AND OTHER FACTORS BEYOND OUR CONTROL OR UNDERSTANDING, I WANT TO DO MY PART, SO I DID STOP AT SEAGARS ON THE WAY HOME FROM SENECA LAKE TONIGHT TO ASK/BEG THEM TO CANCEL THE 4/2 PERCH KILLING FESTIVAL. UNFORTUNATELY THEY WERE CLOSED. MAYBE I WILL HAVE BETTER LUCK THURSDAY.... IF I CAN'T GET THEM TO CANCEL, I MAY HAVE AN ORGANIZED PROTEST WITH EVERYONE WHO CAN'T CATCH THEIR LIMIT OF PERCH ON THIS FORUM JOINING ME IN THE PROTEST. WE CAN CARRY SIGNS AND LIE DOWN IN FRONT OF BOATS UNTIL THEY STOP THIS NEEDLESS  SLAUGHTER OF INNOCENT PERCH.. WE COULD CALL OURSELVES  (.A.S.S. G.A.S)  "ANGLERS SAVING SOME GREAT AMERICAN SPORT." OUR SLOGAN CAN BE "SAVE A PERCH EAT A SEAGULL" PLEASE......... JOIN ME IN THIS WORTHWHILE EVENT.......DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN.

WELL I HAVE 14 CRAPPIES TO FILLET THAT I GOT OUT OF SENECA, I DID THROW BACK TWO HOG FEMALES, THUS ENSURING THE RESOURCE IS SUSTAINABLE FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS.......

Edited by MEATMAN

I'm going with dude because I'm 31lol I appreciate your pm I asked about the black Lund because you seem to know what's going on just wanted to make sure with the age group you mentioned that it was not you with a 25 thousand dollar boat giving me a hard time In my 68 star caft