Seneca perch

HELLO DARKWATER  - SINCE YOU SEEM  SO CURIOUS, MY SON SIGNED ME UP ON THIS FORUM SEVERAL YEARS AGO. BUT SINCE I WOULD RATHER ACTUALLY BE ON THE WATER THAN GO ONLINE, I HAVE NOT POSTED MUCH UNTIL THE SENECA SUBJECT CAME UP.

I DO NOTE THAT YOU HAVE 504 POSTS IN 2 YEARS..........YOU REALLY NEED TO GET ON THE WATER MORE..........LIFE IS TOO SHORT! BYE NOW, GOING FISHING! OH, MY YACHT,  IS A 16 FOOT,  2002,  WITH TILLER STEERING,. AND THE PORTA POTTY IS A BUCKET.

SILVER FOX - I'M ON HERE BECAUSE I DIDN'T LOG OFF............OOPS, MY BAD!!

Wow. That escalated fast. 

I know a bunch of guys who fish Seneca regularly, like Meatman, who pound the perch but don't tell anybody about it, then chuckle when Joe Average says there's no perch. I don't really blame people for keeping their mouths shut on that lake...it's ridiculous what some guys will do when they see you haul a single fish over the gunnel. Can you say, "fishing in my back pocket"? But the consensus is that the population is down, even among regulars.

And perch go in cycles. So no, maybe the population hasn't crashed. But it's ridiculous to claim that we can't have an impact on the resource. Heck, even Meatman says that he puts the 2-lb spawners back for the future. Kudos! Some guys don't. 

There's lots of idea swinging around in this thread, but I agree with Les that there's not a good way to know the truth of the matter. Time will tell. And by then everybody will have forgotten this thread. Maybe.

The internet is a lot like being married. Don't say anything that you wouldn't be willing to hear about for the next twenty years, cause what's on the internet stays on the internet  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Wow. That escalated fast.

I know a bunch of guys who fish Seneca regularly, like Meatman, who pound the perch but don't tell anybody about it, then chuckle when Joe Average says there's no perch. I don't really blame people for keeping their mouths shut on that lake...it's ridiculous what some guys will do when they see you haul a single fish over the gunnel. Can you say, "fishing in my back pocket"? But the consensus is that the population is down, even among regulars.

And perch go in cycles. So no, maybe the population hasn't crashed. But it's ridiculous to claim that we can't have an impact on the resource. Heck, even Meatman says that he puts the 2-lb spawners back for the future. Kudos! Some guys don't.

There's lots of idea swinging around in this thread, but I agree with Les that there's not a good way to know the truth of the matter. Time will tell. And by then everybody will have forgotten this thread. Maybe.

The internet is a lot like being married. Don't say anything that you wouldn't be willing to hear about for the next twenty years, cause what's on the internet stays on the internet :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well said, I've stayed out of this one cause I couldn't think of something positive to say... what was that old saying? ... The majority of guys on here are happy to help other guys catch fish, period. Dial em in boys and leave enough for all to enjoy.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

this site is about fishermen sharing advice and fishing reports. Sounds like darkwater does that . Its not about lying to fellow fishermen at the dock and organizing some black lives matter protest outside of a well established marina with a great rep. Not trying to start a fight just my opinion . Good luck to all :yes:

this site is about fishermen sharing advice and fishing reports. Sounds like darkwater does that . Its not about lying to fellow fishermen at the dock and organizing some black lives matter protest outside of a well established marina with a great rep. Not trying to start a fight just my opinion . Good luck to all :yes:

Yes sir idk why this get crazy ever time

Be careful darkwater.  I cruise in a 16ft tiller and I am in the non catch pool.  If you follow me around you will probably be disappointed.

I have been hearing countless stories recently about guys blowing thru the perch school becasue they see guys catching them and think they need to be where the boats are.  MEATMAN HAS SOME GOOD POINTS AND I CAN SAY THAT WHEN I READ ALL OF THESE POSTS (from everyone) ALL I READ IS PASSION FOR THE LAKE WITH A LIL SPICE.  Lay off the pepper.   Be nice and respectful and your post will mean more.  Just cuz it works for the donald doesn't mean it works for you.

fishing reports themselves create a dilemma.  You want to contribute to the fishery and you want to preserve it.  Exactly why I tell people not to report on a body of water with no internet acclaim.  Guys hiding there catch is alright with me.  There is no law that says they have to share.  I choose to share in most instances but sometimes I keep it to myself - even lying about it sometimes.  You each have to decide.  I know there are some fisherman doing very well on that lake and the fact that it is under the radar is fair.  It is the 90/10 rule and get use to it.

Be careful darkwater. I cruise in a 16ft tiller and I am in the non catch pool. If you follow me around you will probably be disappointed.

I have been hearing countless stories recently about guys blowing thru the perch school becasue they see guys catching them and think they need to be where the boats are. MEATMAN HAS SOME GOOD POINTS AND I CAN SAY THAT WHEN I READ ALL OF THESE POSTS (from everyone) ALL I READ IS PASSION FOR THE LAKE WITH A LIL SPICE. Lay off the pepper. Be nice and respectful and your post will mean more. Just cuz it works for the donald doesn't mean it works for you.

fishing reports themselves create a dilemma. You want to contribute to the fishery and you want to preserve it. Exactly why I tell people not to report on a body of water with no internet acclaim. Guys hiding there catch is alright with me. There is no law that says they have to share. I choose to share in most instances but sometimes I keep it to myself - even lying about it sometimes. You each have to decide. I know there are some fisherman doing very well on that lake and the fact that it is under the radar is fair. It is the 90/10 rule and get use to it.

well said great point. 😊

Another thing that has to be taken into consideration is the invasion of the gobie into the finger lakes.  If food in readily available, they will not be in the feeding mood.  This could also change the areas perch are in compared to the old days. 

My thinking is the perch need to eat. The bait isn't likely to be in water that is crystal clear so we can see zebra mussels on bottom in 40 FOW.  I don't believe there is any plankton in water that is so clear, There is nothing for the bait to eat when the water is that clear. I think we've lost the bottom end of the food chain. Bait feeds on plankton. If plankton is gone, so is bait and the fish.

All the lakes are def changing for sure. There seems to be less smallies too in Seneca from what Ive seen in years past but I haven't fished them much last year. Of course my panfishing now consists of two little Barbie poles and hearing "hey daddy" 500 times lol

Edited by blueghost1

Captain Jim  and Gambler have made some very relevant points to consider in the mix. We all have an emotional and financial investment in the NYS fishery and hopefully it is in that spirit we share ideas and info.  Nobody has the final answer (s) to all these issues yet but at least getting things out on the table to look at and talk about is a start in the right direction. We do need to mutually respect each others views despite our differing opinions. I should also note that anyone who thinks they have the one and only answer is deluding themselves and the same goes for anyone who thinks they have the perch completely figured out because just when you think you've got it down they knock the puzzle pieces on the floor for you to put back together. Despite having a love for all the Finger Lakes Seneca has always been my favorite and considered my "home" lake as it was there I lived for over 50 years and  I caught my first fish a 12 inch smallmouth black bass on July 3, 1949 in the Yacht Club bay when most of the folks reading this were not even a twinkle in their parents eye or perhaps their parents weren't even born yet. Even Meatman wasn't around yet :lol:  so maybe the passion I have for the lake does color my thinking a bit :)

Edited by Sk8man

Dang Les how long was that first bamboo pole with the hook you carved from stone? LOL. Good points made! Most guys on here can have a discussion without calling anyone out. It's nice to see and read. No doubt many factors influence the lake and will till the end of time. I've seen first hand only weeks ago thousands of gallons of liquid slurry, spread on frozen farm fields get washed into the lake. Had over an acre of Creek bed filled with foam where the run off was.

Yeah Sean Fred Flintstone and I rode down to the lake on the dinosaurs to go fishing back then :lol:  That is a shame about that stuff going into the lake.....none of that helps things any.

Edited by Sk8man