What type of rod?

Hey guys, Im going on a trip next year that includes big northern fishing. I scooped up a couple of on sale 6.75 oz musky lures from Bass Pro to try. Made it out to Olcott pier yesterday and figured I'd toss them out there for practice. Well, my 8.5 ft med. heavy spinning rod didnt seem like enough rod. Are these lures meant to be cast out, or just dropped over the side of the boat and trolled? If they are castable, what rod is appropriate?

Those kind of lures are used a lot for deep river jigging. Typically 15 to 20 fow.jigging just off bottom or dragging along bottom. You can also cast and jig or swim them toward the boat. Easiest to use with a baitcast rod and reel. Reel should be a musky size reel spooled up with 50 to 80 lb test braid. Power Pro is good.You can get away with a 7.5 ft med heavy to 8 or 9 ft heavy musky rod. Sometimes people troll with them but not usually. You will need extra long nose pliers and hook cutters.

Other lure suggestions are large (6"+) spinners, spinnerbaits,and spoons.  A few crankbaits in the same size range that you can troll or cast and twitch might also come in handy.

Yes, that's big enough. I asked what time of year you were going because the size of those baits aren't effective all year long. Honestly, I don't fish with baits that large for pike, even though they do work. Depending on where you are headed, that time of year can be tough. Best times are May into June and mid to late fall. I'd be trolling for them if I was fishing in July for pike. Deep diving cranks would be my choice.

July is a tough month for pike in these parts. You can stick a few shallow at first and last light. I like blades when the water is warm. Mepps musky maribou,ghostails,any bucktail with a #8 blade or 2. I use double 10's then like super girls but your spinning combo won't handle that. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good fight!

• 3 months later...

I use Husky Jerks and Salt Water Rapalas while up north in Canada. I fish them as you would any other jerkbait. I've caught numerous pike between 20 to 25 pounds. Never found the need for anything any bigger while up north. For Musky's I do use some bigger baits.