Rigging planer boards

Flags are useful on ANY planer boards as they aid in being seen by other boats especially in choppy water. It isn't a warm and fuzzy feeling having your boards run over :) I made the ones on all my boards rather than buying though.

Edited by Sk8man

First of all there are different types of planer boards the big boards use a mast in the front or perhaps on the sides of the hard top on a boat (and use different releasing methods) while the inline boards which you have indicated are run directly from the line on your rods. Although they can be run to be released from the tension devices on them I run my inlines with the tension cranked down to the maximum and then bring the boards in manually and detach them from the line and then bring in the fish and net it. Before attempting to run more than one set of boards make sure you are VERY familiar with the initial set that you start out with as you could be in for some real annoying and potentially expensive messes as there are some sequences for letting them out and resetting them that work a lot better than others :lol: I'd suggest  looking at Youtube videos and/or get together with someone who is already using the boards and see how they do it .

Edited by Sk8man

I have the same inline boards. I have a pair for port and starboard. I gathered materials for the tattle flag system at lowes for $5ish and rigged all four. There's a YouTube video about it. No need to spend $25 a piece for off shore's system.

Edited by greenboatluke

I just checked the link above and the sound isn't coming through on my phone... I tried cutting and pasting into Safari and it couldn't find the server. Anyway, just search "diy tattle flag planer board" and it sound come up. It's 2:04 long and by Jordan Porritt Fishing.

Edited by greenboatluke

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had offshore work good for anything with weight behind it, but I do use church tackle boards. We run about 8 at any given time from sticks to lead core up to 300' copper. They track true and are reliable.

The offshore I had just didn't like to pull out unless it was a shallow stick. May have just been my setup tho.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm not gonna spend 25 dollars a piece for the kits that's for sure

I made my own with some parts from tractor supply and have worked for 3 seasons without issues.

Cabelas had their advanced angler boards with strike kit for $24.99 if you're looking for boards and strike kit.

I have ran those boards Cabelas for 4 years and they run great.

When I get to my boards upstate, I'll post some pics with directions for rigging the tattle flag for cheap.

I ran mine out of the box for a couple years... Just harder to see a light strike or small fish on em. If it's big, you'll be able to tell. Happened to see a smallmouth jump 100' behind the board once! It was a little rough, so hard to tell.

Edited by greenboatluke

I made my own with some parts from tractor supply and have worked for 3 seasons without issues.

Cabelas had their advanced angler boards with strike kit for $24.99 if you're looking for boards and strike kit.

I have ran those boards Cabelas for 4 years and they run great.

I bought 4 one time for 11.99 each with the flag system ,,,Cabelas bargin cave .....they are green ..never used them yet, I always use the big boards

I bought 4 one time for 11.99 each with the flag system ,,,Cabelas bargin cave .....they are green ..never used them yet, I always use the big boards

They are junk I'll take them off your hands for $5 a piece....  ;)

But in all seriousness they run great for the fraction of a price those off shore boards and still have the adjustable lead weight.

Edited by Chas0218

• 2 weeks later...

Opti-tackle boards are on sale at northwoodsoutlet for 19.99 which includes the boards and flag system. I have a pair and a pair of church's. Mind you the church's are higher quality but the opti's work just as good. Also consider rigging you flags so they run down and the flags go up when you have a fish.

Opti-tackle boards are on sale at northwoodsoutlet for 19.99 which includes the boards and flag system. I have a pair and a pair of church's. Mind you the church's are higher quality but the opti's work just as good. Also consider rigging you flags so they run down and the flags go up when you have a fish.

I prefer the other way so other boats don't run them over. I have had instances where myself and another boat were running those walleye boards without a flag on a foggy day and we almost tangled boards. No fault of either of us we just didn't see each other's boards.

• 3 months later...