OVERBOARD - Engine Shut-Down

RSF

Hi all, hoping your having a great Christmas season!

Wanted to let you know, I'm in final phase of development soon to go into test mode of a special wireless device that will shut-down your/my outboard, inboard or diesal boat engine should a lone captain fall overboard while the engine is on or on & engaged.

Hello

Can you provide any info on this new product? I use the auto tether since I fish alone a lot of Oswego, I've had 2 of them and the problem is these units

lasted only 2 years, I find that the seal is not up to par on keeping out moisture, I remove the cover, batteries and let it dry out and can air remove any residue. 

No matter though the board has always gone south, getting 2 seasons out of a $250.00 item is kind of frustrating. Granted its a life saver when it works when your alone and a piece of mind. I was just looking on line for a newer and better product. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, sorry taking this long to reply not been in, been building. Re: Overboard Engine-Shut Down device,

Due to battery drain it would difficult to design a small transmitter that continuously transmits where the engine-off system activates upon being out of range (in water) of receiver without a much larger transmitter to house a much larger battery. Per an Engineer I met with back in August/15.

So, in this case, in order to keep small (car remote size), it will depend on pressing a button that will, in this case, shut down the engine through the usual ground-off method, while activating an SOS strobe. The receiver unit 3"x3" will mount between he stern lamp and pole and the wiring (four + stern lamp wires) will run down/up through the stern lamp pole, keeping the receiver as high as possible. In large craft the bridge or cabin top-rear area may be best. The high intensity multi, 360 degree SOS strobe I may mount on top of the engine cowl?, as vibration wont bother it. The cost of the parts, less wire, fuses, switches, connectors, solder and 10-15 hours I'll spend building it, is 52.00 CDN.  I'm also designing a commercial version that will accommodate 1-12 crew.

Almost finished turning my Min Kota Endura C60 from tiller to remote-controlled (wired). Added electronic steering to. Not enough room on stern, so had to mount on bow. When mounted this Spring, I'll be able to operate the trolling motor from my seat (3-reverse, five forward speeds and electric steering, just under 90 degrees port or starboard. Will post pictures when done. The remote control is finished and assembled, just need to complete mounting the old 14 volt drill to trolling motor frame -- screw drive steering's done too.

RSF...interesting problems to have.  I'd like to get this thoroughly straight in my head.  I'm going to try to explain it in my own words for my own understanding.  Please straighten me out on anything I've gotten wrong:

1. Having a device that constantly transmits & then the motor shuts off because the person overboard is too far away is too much of a drain on the battery.  It requires constant transmitting and is triggered because of loss of signal.  I can see that if the battery in the system gets weak, the motor will shut off or not start whether you are overboard or not.

2. There are really only two choices: automatic trigger or manual trigger.  You've chosen manual.  There are actually three: auto, manual, or a backup manual if auto doesn't work.  Auto-inflating PFD's have two manual systems in case auto doesn't work (pull the cord or blow up manually).

3. It looks like you've thought of using the opposite as a trigger, i.e., instead of it remaining "on" and triggering the motor to shut off when you go in the water, have the system remain "off" & it turns on when the operator presses the button.

4.  You're half-way there already by turning it "on" manually to turn off the motor but personally I'd feel more comfortable by having it turn the motor "off" automatically and have a manual "off" system as a backup.  Then you have some redundancy.  If you're also not able to press the button to turn the motor "off", it would turn it off by itself.

Edited by Smeltz

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Yes, I agree that ideally an electronically activated engine auto shut-down method would be best. But I was not able to come up with a way or device to do this without it being in constant contact (being on) with the receiver.

What I came up with is a secondary system which I have finally received the components to build that yes, it will require pressing a button on the remote should one go overboard while not being tethered or alone.

Just finished turning my Minn Kota C2 Endura trolling motor into a remote (wired) unit. It also includes steering. I must post a picture. Anyway, now I'm on to this project having finished the other and receiving the electronic parts for the remote engine shut down.

I felt then as I do now, this simple system is a back-up while un-teathered for reasons such as checking the down-rigger, etc. I suspect unlike the other project this one won't take long to install and wire. I have the engine here on a pedestal so that's simple, the boat end of it I'll due in the Spring. I will post a picture in the coming weeks as  to what it is and how it was done. Lol-hopefully it'll work.

So, received the components and did some testing then more antenna 433MGz research. Here is what I'm buliding and reasons why:

Ski KeY     advanced marine safety products (name I have come-up with)                   
SK1L                Strobe Warning                    
SK2LM             Strobe Warning/Engine Shut Down                    
SK3LMEM        Strobe Warning/Engine Shut Down/Electric Motor Shut Down                    
SK4LMEM-AA  Strobe Warning/Engine Shut Down/Electric Motor Shut Down/Audible Warning                    

Custom made models that can save life and injury.

The SK1L designed for the Water Skier or Tubing Rider which when activated                        
will send a Radio Frequency signal in times of trouble, directly to the Captain                         
through a four lamp high-powered LED strobing lamp signal mounted on the captain's                        
or drivers gauge dashboard that will immediately alert the Captain a problem exists                        
With the towed Skier, Tuber or wake boarder for an action.                        

The SK2LM unit provides the addition to the above to be able to shut-down the drive engine                        
as well as illuminate the captain's SkiKey Emergency dash mounted high powered strobe.                        

The SK3LMEM unit provides in a addition to the SK1L and SK2LM, the enhancement of                        
shutting down any Electric motor. THIS UNIT IS GENERALLY USED FOR THE SOLO                        
Captain to shut down all active motors in case of a Overboard emergency.                        

The SK4LMEMAA provide the same safety features as above and adds the ability to                        
Switch-on an audible alarm, all while in water.                        

NOTE: The above safety units are designed to enhance present safety methods and laws                         
and are not designed or be used to replace existing or future water boat regulations.  

Am in the process of building my unit after good results testing the RF/Relay components I had ordered almost two months ago. From there, we'll see as I have sent a feeler message to some Fishing Pros and others. Asking give me your honest feedback on the series of Overboard Safety device models.                      

Hi all,

Here is the picture of the main controller unit. 80.00 in the USA, less than ten from the Country imported from. I have tested it.

Minimal Range: 98 metres (Indoors) -TESTED. Perhaps 150 or more outdoors. However, I spent two days researching the 433 MGz band and found several ways to seriously increase the range.

- Battery from: 3volt; to 5 volt

- Parabolic Receiver antenna

- Transmitter modification (simple solder thing, 2" copper wire-electron antenna atttachment)

The three above mods I have not done as yet, but will in the coming days. Will report the results.

Thanks Guys!

post-154612-0-02570600-1456176150_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks Jeremy! Spent years working the best electrical minds on another site trying to learn a work-around from obvious problems using a boat-mounted Infrared sensor approach but could could not get around the many false alarm problems associated with weather temperature, rain, etc..

Then moved on, a few years later 2015, included a meeting with an electronics design engineer. He said NO to IF and went into a spiel about about RF advantages as I was looking to design something for fishing industries capable of handling 12-15 deck hands in case of an overboard situation. We first discussed a constant-on device worn by all that interrupts the constant signal to a receiver on the stern, mast and bow which activates a light and audible alert in the helm. The problem was, in his thought, battery drain rate of crew wearing such a device since they may be out there (on deck) as much as 12-16 hours at a time.

Then, we got into to an RF device worn by the crew with receivers located on the stern facing behind the boat. Where the crew member could press the remote device button setting off the alarms in the helm thus battery drain would not be a problem. After two hours and a few emails later, he wanted to design the whole unit (there are lot of extras with this device not mentioned above). Problem was His Electronics engineering firm sent an estimate of 54K plus for the finished design from etching to the cases. So I left it limbo.

Then, while cruising through an electronics products exporter, I came across  a low cost basic RF transmitter/receiver capable of operating four items.. so I ordered a few and have now begun the design for my boat as I do a lot of night fishing and sometimes alone.

With my limited knowledge of antenna design in the RF spectrum 433 MHz plus, to increase range I decided to seek out advice here. Lake Ontario can be a problem lake with out of now where 6 foot waves... I know, as I got caught out there once 2 miles out where the shelf was. Anyway, I'm looking for any advice be it possitive or negative or just constructive critsism as I about to build the initial unit for my boat. Thanks.

NEW DESIGN - Additions:

Hi all,

From: 433MHz 4 channel, 100-150 metre straight line range (OVERBOARD: Shut down, Flashing Strobe)

To:  315MHz 6 channel, 250-400 metre straight line range (OVERBOARD: Shut down, Flashing Strobe, with Engine steer)

After more thought, and a lot of research, I have decided to make a couple design enhancements. Firstly, I wanted increased range and found it through 315MHz power remote to add 100-250 metre increased range. Secondly, hopefully, I'll be successful in designing a secondary electric steering control that if the boats getting away and the weather is making high-waves and/or extreme underwater currents extremely difficult to catch up with the boat, I'll have the the second option of boat coming to me instead of just being able to shut-down the more and turn-on the SOS beacon.

My initial problem is the attachment design of the motorized mechanism that wont interfere with the motor's regular steering but will hook-in once remotely activated. The Port and Starboard I feel wont be a problem, the above is. Antone with thoughts please help with you ideas. Thanks.

post-154612-0-16532700-1456564047_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Rec'd the 250-400 metre transceiver unit. Wanted to keep LOU interested people updated and so here's a picture of the receiver screw - sealed (surprising), with external 433 MHz receiver antenna and full length transmitter antenna (six channel).

Edited by RSF

Sorry Guys, had trouble uploading the photo. When I have done it all (having trouble finding a cheap-used "Rear Window Wiper motor", I'll let the LOU folks interested know-all through a layman's schematics.

post-154612-0-42098500-1459036421_thumb.jpg

Edited by RSF