New bird dog puppy

Nice dogs !! I freeze shot up ducks and use them for training. Works the best. Woodieboater if anyone u know has a lab take your dog out swimming with it. my two labs got my dad's Bluetick and Redbone to go swimming and they hate water.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

yeah I didn't think that far ahead to freeze some ducks this year. mainly because I jumped from expecting a dog spring 2017 to finding available pups on the ground. I did some chukars but I'm fresh out of those. and the lab thing is a good idea, I didn't really think of that. I have a NAVHDA training day this weekend and I think there will be some pointing labs there. ill try and get him playing with them. Most of my buddies have pointers that hate swimming by law, but I can probably track down a couple labs. I'm hoping as the water warms he'll start to enjoy it more too

Great looking dogs guys. Have a new lab myself. A couple of pointers out for you guys. Its too cold for the pups Right now. If they go in by them self fine. Cold weather and young dogs can develope a thing called cold tail. Its like the dog broke his tail and freezes in onespot. Once they get this they r prone to get it more. Also when starting to teach with birds frozen r the way to go. I forch fetch my labs as soon as they loose there baby teeth. Using a frozen bird teaches the dog not to hard mouth the birds. The reasonfor force fetch for who doesnt know is to teach the dog to bring back a bird to hand alive if itwasnt killed. I have seen dogs eat birds that were still alive.

Young pups are sure full of energy enjoy

Dave,

You probably tried this but I used to just throw the pigeons we shot from the field just far enough so he could walk and get them at first and then graduated from there.  Also, when its warmer I went swimming  with him at first to get him to go.  I was nervous for awhile when my lab was a pup that I got the only lab in the US that hated water!

Yeah fellas at this time I'm mostly just getting his feet wet. every now and again he gets a little deeper but there isn't much swimming going on at all right now. I guess I'm more frustrated that its not warming up faster I guess haha. Duckman I don't think ill force fetch this dog. He's showing awesome natural retrieve for a 5 month old, and he's the softest dog I've ever seen. maybe that'll change in the future, but force fetch can be done at any age. As for swimming were just gonna kind of plod along. Well get there. I have to remind myself often that he's only 5 months. I get ahead of myself quite a bit

My perch hound. 1/2 redbone and running walker. He can smell fish farts even through the ice! He barks and I fish. 70%, he is on it. Been fishing since he was 6 weeks old. Sorry if the pic is crooked, nice dogs you all have guys.

That is one cool dog!

That mixed breed of the red bone n walker is exactly what I'm looking for in my next tracking dog..

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

He is a farm dog. His other duties are killing rats and grey squirrels around our grain bins. He has a strong dislike for rodents. His focus is usually on them. Brings back a coon, possum, or woodchuck now and then. Nice mix, can't distract him from his chore, figured out what tree the squirrels like, cuts em off across the lawn, bam. Very smart & motivated, would make an excellent tracking dog Nauti.

gotta love them farm dogs. they always seem to find something to focus on and they're the best companions goin. my Australian heeler and my parents rat-jack have turned into quite the rat murdering team.. the only problem is when they run out of rats they start focusing on the cats haha 

here's the whole crew a couple months ago. trying to find something to terrorize

post-150397-0-29734000-1460728008_thumb.png

post-150397-0-44937900-1460728223_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tested Dutch in a NAVHDA Natural Ability test over the weekend. He scored a 103/112. He got docked for his search and desire during the hunting portion of the test. I think he ran a perfect score worthy test, as did a number of the other members but hey, cant argue with the judges. All in all super happy with how he did especially for his age. Plus he had a great time which is all you can ask for right? great experience.