New bird dog puppy

Nice dude. Great you drove that distance to get him and you work that dog. You have the only lineage in the state I would assume. New territory. The perch hounds dad came from NC., his mom from WY. Keep an ottoman for that dog so it can look out the window. Don't let a guy who can't control your dog judge it anyway. Good job, glad Dutch had fun doing it. That name is great, reminds me of the movie, a classic to me. Late 80's I think. Nice dog. He could go run with The Frick anytime. Maybe mine could turn him on to fish schools? Way to go. I know a little about getting a dog to mind, mines 1/2 redbone-running walker, strong spirited. We need some Dutch beer koozies when he wins the contest next time. I'll buy one. Dog is awesome.

He was 6 1/2 months when I tested him. Turning 7 months this week. And yeah perch I give you a lot of credit for reigning in a redbone-running walker. I'm sure he's got a mind to get out and roam. He's got a chair by the window so he can watch the squirrels outside. Definitely quite the character. Looking forward to spending a lot of time hunting with him this fall. maybe even getting him on some perch schools when things ice up

That's how it started with him as a pup. Took him ice fishing, brought my old carhartt for him to lay down on. That didn't last long at all. 1st fish and he was going to smell every hole on Sodus Bay. He has a whistle gps on his collar. If he's not all the way in woodchuck hole, I can look up his position on my phone. Learned the property lines fairly quickly when the truck would appear at his location like magic and he'd be on the rope for awhile. When the snow gets deep he can catch the squirrels running from the bird feeder. Real cool dog you have, looked it up a few nights ago.

Amazing what dogs can do isn't it? thanks for the compliment. I'm super happy with him, he's everything I was looking for. Hunts HARD close and very thoroughly, shuts it off in the house, goofy lovable bastard. I never remember training going this easy. Maybe its because I'm more experienced... maybe its because he's just an easy going dog. either way I'm enjoying it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's rounding out to be pretty hot. It's hard to get him enough exercise without worrying about overheating. It's dry so scenting is tough, but his nose is fantastic. We've been focusing on water retrieves, duck searches and now just started with blind retrieves. He's doing really well scenting on the water, and All of that is going really well and hes loving it. I haven't been this excited for October in a long time.

Edited by WoodieBoater

weighed the Numbnuts today. Were at 67.5 pounds with some room to grow still. He doesn't look that heavy but im tellin ya he has a density similar to lead.

I have a running bet with a buddy (for a case of beer of course) that hell hit 70 by the end of the year. looks like im gonna lose for sure.

Current Pictures and his picture from 8 weeks

post-150397-0-26590200-1470153197_thumb.jpg

post-150397-0-84040500-1470153290_thumb.jpg

post-150397-0-08960900-1470153402_thumb.jpg

I have a springer that I hunt with that is built the same way..  Solid and muscular at 62#, which is big for a Springer, but he does not look it...   He has great stamina in the field...

Love the look of your dog and sounds like he is going to be a great hunter....

We should all be lucky enough to have one great hunting dog in our lifetime....   I have mine and hope that you have yours!!   enjoy!!

Nice reading the training is going well. Good looking pup. It is so rewarding when you see the results. I have a 7month old lab that i will be hunting in fall. Going threw force fetch now. Hes a marking machine. Good luck in the fall

Perch it's funny you say that. His favorite thing in the whole world is beer. If I leave one unattended he tips it over or steals it haha.

5e3828cef22d6fed5009c36147f6146c.jpg

It's nice to hear that people are training and hunting dogs. I feel that upland bird dogs are becoming a lost art, at least in this part of the country where birds are scarce. Plenty of guys run duck dogs but kids my age with a shorthair or Springer seem very few and very far between. I allways encourage people to come with me so that hopefully they get hooked on grouse or pheasants. Anyway. That's my rant for the night I suppose haha

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app