New bird dog puppy

Yeah I'm starting to really appreciate his undercoat. He goes a lot farther in cold weather than a shorthair does. although on the flipside I cant push him hard at all when its "hot" out.

Btw Dutch is a Griffon, I know he looks just like a wirehair but there's a few differences haha.

If you want me to point you in the direction of good breeders for both wirehairs and Griffs I have a long list for both. feel free to PM me and ill get you some info.

Struggling with boredom and laziness in the off season as you can see

dutch.png

Yes sir. The "Dutch" is enjoying the off-season. I'm sure the tarp nest he has wards off the nightmares about lake water with ice floating in it! Such a handsome dog. Glad all your research paid off for a helper as spirited as him. Looking forward to his progress this year. Keep the updates & pics coming.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well we finally had our first major medical speedbump. The goofy loveable bastard got attacked by another not so friendly dog. Long story short it was probably my fault. It was a dog I was unfamiliar with and they had about 3 minutes of playing and tail waggin. Before you could say holy **** the other dog had a lock-jawed grip on Dutch's shoulder. Fast forward 24 hours and he had a wicked infection around his elbow and severe pain. Luckily a friend of mine is a DVM. we did a pool table surgery and installed a drain. Fast forward another 48 hours, some HEAVY antibiotics/anti-inflammatory and the pup is pretty much back to normal. The drain will stay in for another 4 or 5 days just to make sure all the dead space heals properly.

So I guess my piece of advice (which I'm sure you all know, but it bears repeating) is don't trust any dog you don't know. Don't even trust one you do know. When I was breaking up the fight Dutch put a lot of holes in me (I don't blame him, he was fighting for his life and grabbing the closest thing to his face, which was me).

Needless to say, summer training is put on hold for now:@:swear:

KIMG0835.jpg

KIMG0846.jpg

KIMG0850.jpg

Edited by WoodieBoater

We have had problems with other peoples dogs going after ours. Usually they bring theirs over and they go after our female GSP that's when the big brother Weim steps in puts the other dogs in their place. Our neighbors at our cottage had 2 mean akita fighting dogs that came in our yard and went after our GSP the weim ran the male off and pinned the female to the ground before any of us could get over there. The akitas had my weim by more than 70 lbs. He is a nice dog never bothered any other dogs and usually docile and submissive to other dogs until they go after our GSP. The GSP is a female and maybe 70lbs. we love our dogs but don't trust many other peoples.

Yeah as I'm sure you know it all happened pretty fast. There wasn't any indications that the dog was going to be aggressive. not even raised hackles.

Another token of advice is if you do have a fight and you cant get a dog to let go (as most bully breeds instinct is to grab and hold) find a way to cut off the air supply. If that doesn't work right away eventually the bastard will pass out, and maybe you'll feel somewhat redeemed. probably not tho.

Its amazing to see a friendly dog flip a switch when push comes to shove. I'm glad none of your dogs got hurt. And pretty grateful that we got Dutch straightened out.

Edited by WoodieBoater

41 minutes ago, WoodieBoater said:

Yeah as I'm sure you know it all happened pretty fast. There wasn't any indications that the dog was going to be aggressive. not even raised hackles.

Another token of advice is if you do have a fight and you cant get a dog to let go (as most bully breeds instinct is to grab and hold) find a way to cut off the air supply. If that doesn't work right away eventually the bastard will pass out, and maybe you'll feel somewhat redeemed. probably not tho.

Its amazing to see a friendly dog flip a switch when push comes to shove. I'm glad none of your dogs got hurt. And pretty grateful that we got Dutch straightened out.

Yeah grabbing the snout and squeezing will usually get their attention along with the air supply. As bad as it sounds usually you can grab the ears behind the head and pull that works sometimes too. It's a scary thing if you have never witnessed it before. Like you said it happens in a blink of an eye and usually once you turn your back. I had to pull a pit off my dad's lab once when we were camping the only way to get it off was by the ears. The owner was pissed that I damn near yanked its ears off but I couldn't get him to let go. Nape of the neck and the ears was my only option.

Yeah this dog had a nylon collar on and I got my hand in it and twisted the collar to choke him off. Once I heard the gurgling and gagging I knew it was just a matter of time. I was totally prepared to deal with the owner if they had a problem with it too. its not my fault your dog cant behave.

I tell you what if another dog has ahold of mine I'm not gonna stop short of anything to win. Id rather take the chance of suffocating a dog to save mine than watch mine get torn apart. And trust me once I get my mitts on something it doesn't stand a chance. There's no reason to have an animal that behaves like that. do some ****ing training people

15 minutes ago, WoodieBoater said:

Yeah this dog had a nylon collar on and I got my hand in it and twisted the collar to choke him off. Once I heard the gurgling and gagging I knew it was just a matter of time. I was totally prepared to deal with the owner if they had a problem with it too. its not my fault your dog cant behave.

I tell you what if another dog has ahold of mine I'm not gonna stop short of anything to win. Id rather take the chance of suffocating a dog to save mine than watch mine get torn apart. And trust me once I get my mitts on something it doesn't stand a chance. There's no reason to have an animal that behaves like that. do some ****ing training people

I just found this thread and Woodie, I'm glad your pup is going to be ok.  Best wishes for his speedy and full recovery.  I've had dogs of different kinds for 20 some years now since I got out of the Navy, and between my wife and I, we socialize the *hell* out of our dogs and *still* don't trust them 100% around "new to them" dogs.

Good luck to you and Dutch.

Thanks for the wishes. And yeah I agree you can never trust a dog to be rock solid. What bugs me is I got talking to the owner of this dog after the incident. It was 10 months old, and had never been socialized at all with other dogs (and my guess.. anything else). One of those situations where both owners have a job, leave the dog locked in a room all day, take it for a walk when they get home and that's it. I understand that a lot of it is my fault for not asking those questions beforehand. On the other hand it could probably have been avoided with basic training and socialization

Yeah don't worry. I was cranking on that collar pretty hard. Everything went so fast I didn't even have time to explore more extreme measures.

perch I don't think  it altered his temperament at all. even right after he was waggin his tail. My friend that I took him to for surgery for had 5 dogs (including a pair of pitts that are very well trained) and he was his old self playing with them both before and after surgery. I made sure I got him around friendly dogs right away, and frequently since the fight. He seems to be fine thankfully.

Dennis that blows. Id be pretty pissed in that situation. If anything i'm hoping this prompts the other owner to at least get into obedience class or something. It may be too late to socialize with other dogs but some training needs to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Dutch has made pretty much a full recovery. The hair is even coming back in nice. Back to training

Onion congrats on the new pup. Ill look forward to seeing pictures and updates either here or in your own post

92189.thumb.jpeg.e7ba7aaedd538ab290ff8edd2538ffc0.jpeg

Edited by WoodieBoater

I know there might be other reasons to drive hundreds of mi to get a dog but we got our WPG right in in WNY and I couldn't be happier  still 5 yrs later. 

http://www.marshoykennel.com/  

https://m.facebook.com/MarshoyKennel/

Scout is now 5.5 and with no training he is a all around great hunting partner and family dog. He has never seen a leash or crate and I would bet any thing with the right training he would be top dog. 

Marshoy kennel is wornder family thay proved to be more than just dog sellers.  I had a great experince and hope that you might consider staying local if you are looking to get one of these amazing dogs 

IMAG1020.thumb.jpg.597323c3cb3ecef1d399970f057aaef3.jpg

IMAG0491.thumb.jpg.b73ea8eb1cc1802d1af67e0de129f741.jpg

IMAG0267-2-1.thumb.jpg.96353a18b34156e46f0899949c0a61ed.jpg

The reason I went so far for my pup was mainly due to availability when I was looking to get a dog. Add the credentials that his parents had and the credentials the breeder had and it was a no brainer for me. They aren't like GSP's, there aren't 12 breeders between Rochester and Buffalo to choose from. The year I got Dutch there were 112 registered griff litters in the U.S. vs. 32,000 lab litters. If you're serious about getting one you're probably going to have to work for it. For a more common breed id agree with you, there's hardly a reason to drive hundreds of miles.

Marshoy was the first kennel I contacted when I was looking for a pup because they were local. At that time they weren't planning any breeding's and told me to look elsewhere. The next "local" breeder I found was in New Hampshire, and they had 10 people on a waiting list for a breeding a year out and weren't accepting any more reservations.

I think that's the biggest problem with griffs is they're hard to find. Even if you do find a local litter like marshoy, you may be 12th on the list. I was on 6 lists for breeding's from New Brunswick to Montana to South Carolina. So yes, I would recommend looking locally for starters, Marshoy is a great start, but if you're really serious about getting a griff I would hold the notion in the back of your mind that you might to have to travel. I know Onion had a similar experience trying to locate a pup.

It looks like marshoy has pups available now? so anyone wanting one close... get on it. Diver that's a great look-in dog as well. I think a lot can be said for the breed and breeders in that they're all very conscious about producing great, healthy, good looking pups. hard to find or not...

Edited by WoodieBoater

I was in a similar situation as woodie and talked to some local breeders. It was important for me to be comfortable with the breeder and their pedigree. When multiple breeders from all over the country kept recommending the same breeder it was worth my research. Ultimately I felt comfortable with him and his goals as a breeder. Plus he has similar hunting habits as me so that helped too. I like the fact that this breed is difficult to find. Hopefully it stays that way and the lines stay true

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app