New bird dog puppy

We're up in northern maine.  Ashland area. We didn't do as well today. 11 grouse flushes and 9 woodcock flushes. 1 dead grouse and 4 dead woodcock. We hunted some spots that were good last year and the birds just weren't there. Regardless it's still awesome to be up here. Dutch is doing great. More updates tomorrow.

Screenshot_2017-10-17-13-40-32.thumb.png.9f431edd10c3dde9c397fe48688f0321.pngKIMG1031.thumb.jpg.860661344bb2fd5337db01cf38043b55.jpg2017-10-17_17-30-39.thumb.jpg.1928f6d312a8b45fa0c0c85d39b829da.jpg

Edited by WoodieBoater

FB_IMG_1503708187368.thumb.jpg.af35f4904fb2de40750faf536e8714a4.jpg24188.thumb.jpeg.76bbbe6949d1a89212962ae7a64e7b81.jpeg1010171942a.thumb.jpg.99125e3b2639612216ea45a52cb65065.jpg
Best thread on LOU as far as I'm concerned. My Jackson boy is 10 months old. Been working with him quite a bit this Summer... I'm looking forward to putting him on some birds this season.... Keep those pics coming guys....

Sent from my VS987 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Something about dogs looking like their owners? That dog have any tattoos yet Bro?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well here's the final Maine report.

We didn't flush as many birds as we did last year. The weather was very warm and there definitely weren't any migrating woodcock. Grouse numbers seemed to be pretty good. We had about 30 flushes the first day and averaged 20 flushes on the other days, with one slow day in the mix. We flushed woodcock here and there and actually flushed a few snipe too. I think total bird count was 15 grouse and 12 woodcock and 3 hares. The pic with the birds on the step was mid-weekShooting was less than stellar, we could have killed a lot more birds but the dog work was great.

Dutch was pretty shot by the end of the week. He lost quite a bit of weight up there despite having extra food and a can of tuna every day. Poor guy lost all of the hair on his face again but he was working his ass off.

For anybody looking to do a bird hunting trip Maine is a good place to consider. Good bird numbers and a small game license is cheap. I have a buddy in the UP of Michigan right now and he's getting into decent bird numbers. Another in Northern Wisconsin and bird numbers seem to be really low out there. Everyone is saying the same thing. When are we going to see temps south of 70 during the day!?!?! brutal.. but the season is here and were making the most of it. More reports to come

KIMG1021.thumb.jpg.e323f59cb7b4efb88a3f71c6d48cb219.jpg

KIMG1032.thumb.jpg.5abc84f9b91f058c55c217e5475b320a.jpg

KIMG1042.thumb.jpg.d5b4a12f61622c8a659fbd1afe077991.jpg

KIMG1067.thumb.jpg.e0590e43c77a43827e09c0430e5711eb.jpg

KIMG1049.thumb.jpg.aa8b44f5ac8618e841b09eb9ca4277b7.jpg

Edited by WoodieBoater

Yeah I heard another guy flushed one there. Another guy told me that he gets into them at Rattlesnake down in Dansville. I usually don't do too bad around the Binghamton area but I've done years of scouting there and have a lot of good spots marked on the map.

The only bad part bout hunting Maine is that it definitely spoils you.

Well I hunted state released pheasants... the pheasant release area had grass about 8 feet high, and we found 7 predator killed birds. and that was it.

Definitely looking to get into the grouse woods instead and hoping we get a good woodcock flight

Edited by WoodieBoater

We flushed 4 woodcock and killed one in a quick hunt this morning and then switched gears and killed some pheasants. I think that storm finally pushed some woodcock in. I'm hearing rumblings of some good woodcock hunts across the northern part of the state today and yesterday.

My sister had an inch of snow up at Paul Smiths yesterday. It feels like the weather is finally here. Time to hit it

yeah he definitely has his quirks. as does any dog. but i'm super impressed with his hunting and bird handling. Especially for not even being 2 yet.  Ive never had a dog that had such an ability to turn it on and off either. We hunted Saturday for about an hour and only put up one woodcock. Hoping to make the trip north this weekend for Grouse And woodcock. Keep posted.

They certainly are quick and small.. And erratic haha. Did you flush it over in Tonawanda?

No real breed specific quirks I don't think. Mostly training mistakes that I have made. When he was a pup I tried to boost his desire by letting him chase after a flush... that doesn't work well on a woodcock that only flushes 50 yards. We're working it out though. Knock on wood he's been very steady to wing and shot lately. He has a VERY soft mouth. To the point that he'll drop a bird now and again. That doesn't work well on a wounded duck. But I never force fetched him either. His retrieve is 100 percent natural and rock solid outside of that. But those are training issues not breed issues

I guess one thing I'd say is breed specific from what I've seen is their brains and bodies are a lot slower developing than some other breeds. And the ones I've seen have been very "soft". You can't be harsh with them. Dutch will shut right down if I get frustrated. They work much better off of positive reinforcement and they really want to please. But.... every dog is different. They all have different breaking points and limits. 

Edited by WoodieBoater

For those of you that have researched the WPG and similar breeds what did you find out about the Deutsch Drathaar's? I have quite a few breeders in my general area and was looking for some insight. Pros? Cons? Are they really a similar dog or no?

I did not compare the DD. I can tell you I am very please with my choice of a WPG. He has tons of natural instinct that as a new versatile dog owner I hope I don't screw up. He also is a great family dog. He is just under 7 months old and I can't tell you how many people are amazed he is that young. Certainly he is a puppy but compared to other breeds he is very well behaved and intelligent for his age. He's got a great nose and knows how to work the wind. When duck hunting he is looking at the birds waiting for them to fall. He absolutely loves the water and not gun shy. I can't wait to see how he is at 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app