New bird dog puppy

Funny you should mention being excited to see what he's like at 2... Dutch turns 2 tomorrow and I can honestly say that dog never ceases to amaze me. Not just with hunting ability but obedience and manners as well. And like onion said intelligence is there and it makes training easy. He's not stubborn either. Which again makes training easy.

And on that note I'll tell you what I've noticed for differences. The most glaring difference to me is in the personality. Most drahth's I've seen are what I'd call "sharp" and aloof. Tons of instinct and prey drive and they aren't so concerned with weather you're keeping up or not. With them you're more an alpha than a hunting buddy. And They'll hunt just to hunt. They were originally bred to hunt everything. Birds. Fox. Deer. The German hunt test actually still includes a Fox retrieve and blood tracking I believe. Whatever it is  a drahth thinks it was put on this earth to kill it. You may be able to find a german wirehair that's a bit softer (really the same breed just not held to the same registration standards) but most true drahths are real sharp. I figure you've gathered that griffs are pretty much the opposite.

I wouldn't say any of that is a pro or a con. It's all about what you want. If you really break it down... even if you're a hardcore birdhunter  how much time do you spend in the field with a dog? Maybe TOPS a quarter of the days in a year? The rest is being In the household and training... for me I wanted a dog that was easy to live with 260 days out of the year and would curl up under my desk at my feet at work but would turn it on when I can hunt. That's the WPG.

Beyond that appearance wise pretty similar. I'd say generally griffs have a bit longer coat but functionally they're pretty identical. Dutch gets confused for a german wirehair all the time.

Edited by WoodieBoater

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dutch spent his first morning on a platform. Did pretty well, sat there from 630 to 830. We didn't kill any birds but it was good training anyways.

KIMG1126.thumb.jpg.11277705a40a9030a937626d5dcfa046.jpg

We got some kids out over thanksgiving weekend on some planted pheasants at a preserve. I didn't take any pictures, there was a lot going on trying to keep kids lined up and work the dog but Dutch did great. I don't know if he did it on purpose but he made two big loops to cut off and pin running roosters. Weather it was on purpose or not it was cool to watch. Found a ton of leftover quail coveyed up as well. Pretty cool to get kids out and provide good dog work for them. Hopefully some caught the bug.

• 1 month later...

Had a pretty good opening weekend of late cut. Dutch did well retrieving ducks over the weekend. Struggled a little bit this morning. Good days and bad days I suppose.

We just got a breeding confirmation and a family member is getting a pup out of the same breeding that Dutch came out of in March. The more dog power the better. More updates to come.

KIMG1151.thumb.jpg.8444c00f8322f80597e414fc70829061.jpgScreenshot_2017-12-29-14-17-56.thumb.png.1ad8e0d332252b7fc983701c314cbc5e.png

This make me want a versatile bird dog, big time. I have never hunted over a bird dog, but really enjoy rabbits with my beagle. I would love to get out on upland birds sometime with a good dog. Seems like Dutch is the perfect sort of dog, likes the couch, likes upland, and likes waterfowl. Very cool thread man!

Its great to see so much interest in the breed. They really are great do it all dogs. Id have to say though its all about putting time in to training as with any other breed.

Tg8 that pup looks great. Have you had a chance to get her out hunting at all yet this year?

I've seen a lot of pictures of Onions griff as well and he seems to be having a great first season. The breeder he got his from has puppies quite frequently as well.

Dennis I've had a couple of breeding announcements I got this week from other breeders if your interested in those as well. I can send you their way if you'd like. They're breeders I looked at when I was looking for a pup.

Really excited to have another pup around to hunt with next season. Cant wait to see a pair work together.

KIMG1155.thumb.jpg.45810d548d23d39501d0b5e51482d99b.jpgKIMG1150.thumb.jpg.b748b28843a1a0f897313c25f0f7b6c8.jpg

Sure I will take the info. I don't have the wife on board for 2 dogs at once yet, but im working on it. My soon to be 12 year old lab is running out of gas as a retriever. He has earned his retirement.  Did anyone look into wet acres griffons in Wendell, Mass. or Ore bank Sporting dogs in Spring Grove, PA?

A friend of a friend has a dog out of Ore Bank. I've never met or seen him but I know he does a lot of hunting with that dog. Other than that I cant give you any more info on them. As far as Wet Acres goes, I did speak with them a couple of times and talked to a couple of breeders about them. I formed the opinion that they are more into breeding "breed standard" show dogs than they are hunting dogs. They're very active in the show ring and not very active in the field. That just wasn't what I was looking for. On another note, if you want to get one of their pups they require a face to face interview at their kennel in mass. or at least they did when I talked to them.

I will send you some info on those breeding's in a P.M.

Steelie I'm sorry you lost ur dog. Its hard when there's just memories and pictures left.

And yes. short of labs I think they're the most people friendly gun dogs I've ever seen. Dutch goes into every store that will let him and hell love up on anybody that's interested.

111333.thumb.jpeg.7155ae1a425aa26eb37a8351cc853d31.jpeg

Edited by WoodieBoater

I cant remember if I posted here that he'd point ducks or not. I'm sure there's the potential for him to do it and yeah it'd probably be in a jumping situation. He may have pointed a cripple once, I've seen buddies dogs do that frequently but I wouldn't call it the norm haha. hes pointed mosquitos on my wall, its just instincts

Edited by WoodieBoater
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, WoodieBoater said:

I cant remember if I posted here that he'd point ducks or not. I'm sure there's the potential for him to do it and yeah it'd probably be in a jumping situation. He may have pointed a cripple once, I've seen buddies dogs do that frequently but I wouldn't call it the norm haha. hes pointed mosquitos on my wall, its just instincts

Cool, I grew up with a GSP. She never hunted, but I remember, as a pup, she would always be pointing moths and birds in the backyard. Dad started training her, but never got her on live birds. Sometime down the road I can se myself with a bird dog, and from this post, a griffon is gonna be the first ones I look at!

yeah its definitely rewarding but its a ton of time as well. every moment of a dogs life is training. And they have limits, which I always have to remind myself. I hunted ducks today and left him in the truck... its just too brutal of a day to have him in and out of water and in the wind.

If you decide you want to start looking P.M. me I can point you to a lot of kennels that I've talked to and can give you info on.

• 1 month later...

Well it's officially official.

Were heading out to Wisconsin at the end of March to get a pup for my sister and her boyfriend.

This one will be out of the same parents Dutch is out of. It'll be interesting to see how a pup out of the same breeding progresses.

Ill keep everybody here posted. Other than that the end of grouse season has been awful slow. Gotten out to do some planted birds here and there but that's about the extent of our luck

KIMG0015.thumb.jpg.6c75a806e0789b6bd47a2afbc0bec9f7.jpg

KIMG1109.thumb.jpg.4feaa704122dff08d9f7360d6f45585a.jpg

I actually never trimmed his hair. I never even brush him hardly (except to remove burrs). He hunts through thick cover so hard (lets be honest he's a bit clumsy sometimes) that he actually rubs it all off and it doesn't grow back fast enough to grow into long traditional furnishings. Below ill post a picture of when he was about 6 months old and had never really busted brush vs. a couple pictures after a week of hunting hard in Maine. You'll see what I mean. He's never been a super hairy griff anyway. His furnishings and coat are on the short coarse side. The female he's out of looks exactly the same so I'm wondering if its somewhat genetic

And I feel terrible when he gets so raw. I do everything I can to try and prevent it, Vaseline on his brows, trying to slow him down in cover, but he just gets beat up after a week straight of hunting. Its not like its even all day every day. its just so many days of hunting in a row in thick cover I think that tears him up

KIMG0012.thumb.jpg.a6969f601db6481e41e9edd068db2990.jpgKIMG0256.thumb.jpg.110bdba2ea06d606171ec8c6d85e504a.jpgKIMG1049.thumb.jpg.0e9c79781ab8df12b775aba648e95cae.jpg

Edited by WoodieBoater