New Year's Night Walleye

justtracytrolling

I decided it was time to get walleye gear back out for the first time since october and make my first trip of the year. Scotty and I fished from 4pm till 10 pm hitting several spots with basically zero action till a nasty little squall kicked up and we started fishing a wind blown bit of riverbank. Scotty landed 4 eyes from 7 to 27.5 inches and a small pike in 30 minutes or so...finally I moved up where he was doing damage and promptly hooked a decent fish which I lost of course! Here is a bad pic of the biggest Scotty caught and I hope he sends me one of the better ones I took. Fish completely engulfed a max rap 11. Was awesome to get back out there....

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-151276-1451763357385_thumb.jpg

A true sign of the dreaded "walleye addiction" :lol: when you go out after them now Justin. Nice going!

Edited by Sk8man

I'm not that hardcore....I ran into lyketofish walking out, and I'm just picking my stuff back up! If it wasn't for Scotty I'd have quit when the whiteout hit. I get to fish enough I normally don't fish when I couldn't see to the end of my rod assuming it was light! Check out the max rap in this fish's mouth...the hook you see is the back hook...the front hook is buried. The other is back at Scotty's...him with the fish.

Kevin,

We have several spots with current in the river where we can often fish all winter. I'll bet sluggo is doing REAL well on em!!!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Funny thing is Les walleye can suck the whole bait in and spit it without you even feeling it...especially if you are iced up. It's quite common on the lake for me to hear a faint slurp in the direction of a guests cast and see their line go a bit limp and say you're on set the hook. They land the fish and see it choked a 6inch stick and they can't believe they didn't feel it. Because they feed by gill flare the bait is pulled into the fishes mouth there is often no "hit" though if you are good you can actually feel the hard bait or hooks tick the teeth. If you think you felt it it's too late... When the slam it they are actually on before you feel it...the slam is them going back down...when they get very aggressive they inhale the bait hard and take off nearly simultaneously and those fish you never miss.