South American Muskie 2016

This Friday it is time to get on flight back to Guyana South America for two months of guiding Clients for Arapaima!last February Client Richard Hart caught the New IGFA World Record at 415 lbs 8 ounces as also the Worlds Largest Freshwater Fish on Fly Rod! Bigger ones have been see in a couple of my spots,can we break the record this year?We will try!

Holy shyt, on a fly rod yet, that is a milestone accomplish Larry. I believe that's bigger than anything caught on River Monsters, that he claims people disappear from those fish. I was sceptical at first but after seeing two grown men holding the fish with lots of fish extending both in front and behind you guys it makes his theory more realistic. With your accomplishments already in the record books let's hope you have a little wiggle room for an even bigger one!!! Good luck, keep us posted of your catches.

Crossing the Essequibo River today toward the rainforest,all gasoline in old British military truck,all 400 gallons we will use the next month.Last communication for a month!I can never get pictures right side up using my cell as a computer posting on LOU.At last outpost on the Rupinuni River with limited Internet for a couple more hours ,then we go down river and up the Rewa River to 97 miles from nearest village or road,no communication for 40 ÷ days!

post-144733-0-82974600-1452380511_thumb.jpg

Edited by mostlymuskies

• 1 month later...

This year we had lots of challenge and some bad luck,but overall we had a great trip.First we lost one of our Amerindian boat bowmen along with his wife and cousin.The 3 were on a motorcycle and got hit and killed instantly when hit by a car traveling along at very high speed on the Rupununi Trail.Then we were helping 28 Amerindians from Rewa Village save 20 Arapiama in a pond that was going dry.We used a canoe by putting water in it and 10 guys dragging it through the rainforest running 1/2 mile to the Rewa River to release them to safety one by one!My Boat Captian Patrick was riding one Arapaima over 350 lbs like a horse,reached out to grab it's head to turn it and got the tip of his left hand finger crushed off,the first joint!So the funeral and Patrick's loss of finger tip took b a lot away from a successful fishing trip.

post-144733-0-35116000-1457125566_thumb.jpg

post-144733-0-28016000-1457125611_thumb.jpg

post-144733-0-23613500-1457125648_thumb.jpg

Edited by mostlymuskies

I guess it's what your used to looking at, in my eyes they are one ugly looking prehistoric looking beast !!! Your one brave man Larry. Be safe and a smooth ride home!! PAP.

Ivan,We use a greenheart hardwood log with a come along attached,followed by a scale then a calf weighing harness.After getting the Arapiama into the calf harness,4 guys push the pole up until the Arapiama and gear clears the water,then get weight.Then you reweight the wet calf harness and subtract that weight from the total weight when you weighed the Arapiama.IGFA has excepted this method for last year's 415 lb 8 ounce World Record.This Year the client forgot to get his scale certified, so the 450 lber does not count for an IGFA World Record.

Edited by mostlymuskies

Every year we explore new ponds,some we cut a trail a half mile to push a heavy 21 ft boat thru to the pond.Every new pond we have found using google earth has had many big Arapiama in them.I think eventially one of my clients will break the 500 lb mark.Every client this year caught 2 or more Arapiama and 100's of other fish!I have to say my Amerindian Boat Captian's & Bowman are the hardest working people I have ever met,I tried pushing a heavy 21 ft aluminum boat by hand thru a cut trail rolling it on logs cut and laid out,I was tore down after a few 100 yards,they push them for a half mile or more,sometimes turning the boat on its side to get past trees.Then once there and the boat is in the water they start paddling you into fish catching position without even a rest before.

Edited by mostlymuskies

Wow that's amazing Larry, got give credit where credit is due, the guys work like dogs. I remember years back up in Canada we were told about a lake a mile off the beaten path, so we carried a 4hp motor and a fiberglass canoe, holy cow man the bugs ate us alive and we switched off carrying the motor but still what a prodject then we went back for our poles and tackle, but it was worth it all we hammered the Northerns, not huge but a average size of 30-35". I couldn't do that today that's for sure